Timmy Allen does the little things that allow everyone else to shine

Mantra Dave, Managing Editor

Timmy Allen is always doing something to help the cause. For much of the last two years, he’s been one of the Horns’ primary scoring options. Allen’s role may look a little different recently — he’s scoring less but doing more of everything else — but is no less vital to a Sweet Sixteen-bound Texas team.

In Texas’ 71-66 win over Penn State, Allen had nine points, but also added 12 rebounds, three assists, and a block. He also guarded Jalen Pickett, Penn State’s All-American guard, as well as anyone has all season.

Restricting the senior guard to just 11 points was a team effort, but Allen drew the primary scout and battled every time Pickett isolated him in the low post. Pickett had seven turnovers to just one assist — in large part, that was because of Allen. In 34 minutes of aggressive on-ball defense, Allen only picked up three fouls.

“(Allen)’s out there making plays for us on both ends of the floor,” graduate guard Marcus Carr said.

Allen fills up the whole stat sheet through his hustle, and those numbers translate to a serious impact on the floor. He grabbed Texas’ first four rebounds against the Nittany Lions, setting the tone for Texas to outrebound Penn State 37-33.

Adaptability is the name of the game with Allen — he’s willing to do whatever the team needs. After picking up a minor leg injury before the Big 12 Tournament, he ad-libbed as Texas’ sideline cheerleader in Kansas City. His trusty mid range pull up jumper is hard to stop, but he’ll also pass out of the post when he doesn’t have a good look. It’s about the scoreboard, not the point tally next to his name.

“I’m not thirsty to score,” Allen said. “I want to come in … and play the game with a high IQ and (help) my teammates.”

Allen doesn’t lack for impressive stats or accolades, either, which makes his team-oriented mindset all the more impressive. The Mesa, Arizona product has scored over 2,000 points and made All-Pac-12 and All-Big 12 Teams. After racking up prolific numbers on a disappointing Utah team, he transferred to Texas for something greater than himself.

“Man, that’s all I’m really here for,” Allen said. “I want to win for the community.”

On a veteran Texas team, Allen is a locker room leader that sets high expectations for the guys around him. This season’s Horns are locked into the details, and Allen attributes Texas’ gutsy victory over Penn State to that hard work.

“It starts with the habits we build.” Allen said. “We just went back to what we do, what we prepped for.”

As his award-laden collegiate career winds down, Allen’s focus fits perfectly in Rodney Terry’s locker room.

“I don’t have (anything) to prove,” Allen said. “I’m just trying to play to win.”