Mental health resources to push away mid-semester blues

Sowmya Sridhar, General News Reporter

Although college can be a vibrant period filled with life-changing memories, many students can feel isolated.

Because college students are living independently for the first time, they can struggle with learning about themselves, which can cause loneliness, said Cara Young, associate professor at the School of Nursing, who has done extensive research on the mental health of children, adolescents and young adults.

“We all experience loneliness at given times, and it doesn’t make us weird or strange,” Young said. “It’s actually a common part of humanity.”

Young encouraged students to develop habits to help their mental health to prevent later crises.

For students who do not know where to start, The Daily Texan has compiled a list of the mental health resources that the University offers to support students.

The College of Natural Sciences Mental Health Peer Ambassadors

The CNS Mental Health Peer Ambassadors program was created to decrease the mental health stigma and create a culture of care. Jamie Villarreal, an associate academic advisor in CNS, said the program launched this spring and emphasizes students working for students. In the past, the program held a painting event and a self-love challenge, and it plans to hold a game night in the future. 

While Villarreal said the program focuses on CNS students, any UT student can participate in their events. More information can be found through their Instagram.

(un)Jaded 

(un)Jaded, an Asian American Pacific Islander focused organization, advocates for mental health. Sezim Minbaeva, an officer for (un)Jaded and biology junior, said AAPI communities traditionally stigmatize mental health, so (un)Jaded seeks to create a welcoming environment through meetings on healing intergenerational trauma, immigrant guilt and more. Meetings are held on Thursdays at 7 p.m. in Gearing Hall and information can be found through their Instagram page. 

Longhorn SHARE Project

The Longhorn SHARE Project, a peer support program that focuses on support, healing, active listening, reciprocity and empowerment, includes SHARE communities, drop-in individual peer support and SHARE Circles. SHARE Project Coordinator Adrian Lancaster said people can form connections with others who share a similar lived experience or identity through SHARE communities such as Loneliness in the Longhorn Experience and Connecting to Cultures.

“Any environment SHARE students are in is automatically one of the coziest, safest places to talk,” Lancaster said. “If you don’t know where you want to go next and you’re not sure what mental health resources you want to pursue, going to a SHARE community or individual drop-ins for SHARE is a good place to start.”

MindBody Labs 

MindBody Labs are campus spaces where students can have an opportunity to practice mindfulness or deep breathing to take a break from day-to-day stresses. The labs do not require appointments. Katy Redd, associate director of Healthyhorns, said a unique feature of this resource is that it offers self-paced activities like relaxation tracks, allowing students to drop in between classes. MindBody Labs are available at the Student Services Building on the fifth floor, in the Nursing School and on the second floor of the William C. Powers Student Activity Center.

Longhorn Yoga Club 

The beginner-friendly Longhorn Yoga Club meets weekly on Tuesdays from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Texas Union in room 3.312. The sessions are free for students and more information can be found on their Instagram page. 

CMHC Drop-In Discussion Groups

CMHC Drop-In Discussion Groups offer spaces for students to receive peer support through group discussions. Available groups include the First Generation Student Voices Group and The Ups and Downs of International Student Life. 

mindfulUT 

mindfulUT is a collection of resources related to mindfulness. It includes the UT Longhorn Wellness Center Spotify playlist, mindful check-in ideas, a map of nature spots on campus and more.

Thrive at UT 

The Thrive at UT app is a free app focused on helping students cultivate wellness by building gratitude, self-compassion and more. The app contains interactive activities, videos of UT students sharing their experiences and motivational quotes. Through Thrive at UT, students are given tools to build small habits that can improve their wellness.