Pre-Occupational Therapy Community welcomes members interested in pursuing the career path

Stephanie Jumper, General Life&Arts Reporter

Shadowing in a classroom, occupational therapists carefully construct arts and crafts activities to assist with children’s sensory development. Meanwhile, an aspiring student marvels as kids improve themselves through play. 

Some of those aspiring students include Pre-Occupational Therapy Community president Gracie Anderson and vice president Leahana Haberman, who founded the organization last semester and gained official UT student organization status during winter break. The organization provides community and resources for students interested in pursuing occupational therapy, a therapist profession that works with patients in improving fine motor skills.

Anderson said her motivation to form the club included supporting students in navigating the occupational therapy school application process. She said the club helps connect students with opportunities to shadow occupational therapists, providing application guidance and encouraging community. 

“I hope (members are) able to get confidence in their application because we were nervous and didn’t know if we were doing anything correctly,” said Anderson, a neuroscience senior. “I think if we had someone who had done it before and could talk to us, that would have made a huge difference.”

Haberman, a public health alumna who graduated in fall 2022, said she did not learn of the profession until her sophomore year of college. After growing interest in the field, she said she shadowed an occupational therapist at a school who enhanced children’s sensory skills through arts and crafts.

“It didn’t look like anything special, but the OT explained how the textures of this sandpaper foam were helping kids get more sensory experiences or drawing waves was practicing fine motor skills,” Haberman said. “This OT was helping improve their function through something they thought was fun.”

Anderson said her aspirations stemmed from her grandmother receiving occupational therapy following her experience with a stroke. However, Anderson said she hopes to work in pediatrics in the future.

“​​Whenever I was shadowing in geriatrics … they’re a little grumpy,” Anderson said. “It’s harder to lift older people out of that mood. For kids, you can easily help change their emotions.”

Haberman said she remains uncertain of what specification she wants to work in, but hopes to explore different settings as an occupational therapist, most likely traveling to cities across the United States.

“Coming from that public health background, I enjoy learning about how the environment affects people’s lives,” Haberman said. “That would be interesting, to explore and see what areas I might want to settle down in.”

Psychology junior Kealy Hathaway, who serves as an officer coordinator, shadowed the club’s officers with the possible intention to run for a leadership position within the organization next school year. 

“I was excited to join so I can make friends who have the same career interests as me and go through prerequisites together,” Hathaway said. “It’s accountability for myself to make sure I’m on the right track.” 

Haberman said she plans to begin occupational therapy school at UT Medical Branch (UTMB) in Galveston, while Anderson said she intends to attend either Boston University or Massachusetts General Hospital of Health Professions. Both founders said they look forward to transitioning from shadowing occupational therapists to providing life-altering assistance.

“It’ll be fulfilling to see your work impact someone else’s life right in front of you,” Anderson said. “I’m excited to see how they see improvement in their life and building that relationship between us and our patients. You become like a mentor and a friend to them.”