No. 9/8 Texas softball suffers three losses to No. 1 Oklahoma

Katie Borchetta and Tori Garcia

After coming off a 3–0 sweep of Texas Tech last weekend, the No. 9/8 Longhorns faced a losing weekend to No. 1 Oklahoma in a three game series.

Hopes were high for the Longhorns in the first inning of Friday’s game when freshman infielder Leighann Goode hit a home run to left center field. However, this would be Texas’ only run of the game. 

Oklahoma retaliated with one run scored in the bottom of the first inning, four in the second and three in the sixth, closing the game with the Sooners dominating 8–1.

Besides Goode, redshirt freshman outfielder Ashton Maloney was the only other Longhorn that was able to get a hit off of the Sooners. 

Sophomore Jordy Bahl, Oklahoma’s pitcher, was able to fend off Texas with 108 pitches thrown in all seven innings, only allowing two hits.

Junior pitcher Estelle Czech pitched 1.1 innings and allowed seven hits and five runs to the Sooners. Sophomore pitcher Sophia Simpson pitched 4.2 innings, with five hits and three runs given to Oklahoma. 

“Obviously, it was a packed house, and it was pretty neat to play in front of over 8,900 fans. It’s great for softball. When we agreed to this, that was something we wanted to do,” head coach Mike White said about the game intensity. “I thought the team came out in this tough environment and played pretty well. We just gave the Sooners extra shots, and they capitalized like great teams do. I was proud of my team tonight.”

Saturday seemed more promising. Freshmen Reese Atwood and Viviana Martinez each hit a single. Atwood advanced to third off of a hit by Katie Cimusz and ran home after an error. 

There was no more scoring until the top of the fifth when Molohney scored with an RBI from sophomore infielder Mia Scott.

Oklahoma scored their first run in the bottom of the fifth inning, and Texas quickly gained another run in the sixth with a homerun by Martinez, pushing the score to 3–1.

Unfortunately, the Longhorn lead was ruined in the bottom of the seventh inning when Oklahoma was able to obtain three more runs, giving Oklahoma the 4–3 comeback win.

Sunday’s matchup added another loss and a 0–3 series record for Texas against No. 1 Oklahoma. With a dominant performance by the Sooners, Oklahoma defeated Texas 10–2.

The Longhorns started the day strong with an early solo home run by Scott in the top of the first inning off of junior right handed pitcher Nicole May for the Sooners. The next and final time the Longhorns scored on Sunday was in the top of the fourth inning with an RBI from senior outfielder Lou Gilbert that brought Martinez to home plate.

The Sooners were hot hitters at the plate, difficult for the Longhorns to contain. The bottom of the third inning proved to be problematic for Texas with a total of five runs scored by the Sooners off  Citlaly Gutierrez, Texas’ right handed freshman pitcher.

The game was declared over in the bottom of the sixth inning, with an RBI double to center field from sophomore Sooner infielder Cydney Sanders to take a three-game winning streak against the Longhorns.

Texas will look to break its losing streak starting on Thursday with a series against Iowa State in Ames at 4 p.m.