CMT Music Awards make star-studded Austin debut

Logan Dubel, Senior Life&Arts Reporter

Longhorn nation became country music’s new home Sunday night as the Country Music Television Music Awards aired live from Moody Center. With unbelievable performances from country music’s biggest names, the genre’s only fan-voted awards show spotlighted Austin and  UT’s flagship venue for a night to remember. 

Kelsea Ballerini and Kane Brown co-hosted for the third time. Ballerini started with a somber message honoring the victims of a shooting last week in the show’s former home of Nashville. 

Grammy-nominated singer Blake Shelton quickly lifted spirits, sharing a performance of “No Body,” going full cowboy-boots-country. 

Early on, Shania Twain, the queen of country pop, received the Equal Play Award, celebrating her accomplishments in uplifting diverse artists not given airtime by country radio. Twain began her acceptance speech with her iconic line, “Let’s go girls,” after a glowing introduction from Megan Thee Stallion, who gleamed with excitement after meeting one of her idols. 

Despite being a big country party, stars from across the celebrity stratosphere attended, including the casts of “Yellowstone” and “Outer Banks,” social media personality Dixie D’Amelio, “Stranger Things” actor Noah Schnapp and Super Bowl champion Travis Kelce. 

The University got in on the action, with the marching band and Hook ‘Em appearing along the CMTs aqua-colored red carpet. With all the fanfare taking place on UT’s campus, the CMT Music Awards made it hard for audiences to not want to be a Longhorn. 

Celebrating a decade of the CMT Next Women of Country program, singer-songwriter Alanis Morisette performed, backed by Lainey Wilson, Ingrid Andress, Madeline Edwards and Morgan Wade. The five women joined forces for a show-stopping performance of  “You Oughta Know,” reminding audiences that it isn’t so “ironic” that Morisette remains a beloved star with her vocal ability. 

Gwen Stefani’s “Just a Girl” duet with Carly Pearce brought the entire crowd to their feet and marked Stefani’s CMTs debut. Plus, Ballerini’s “If You Go Down (I’m Goin’ Down Too)” featured “RuPaul’s Drag Race” stars and highlighted inclusion in country music — a notable representation as Texas and other states aim to limit drag performances. 

Jelly Roll took home an impressive three awards, noting that while he walked just 30 yards from his seat to the stage, it took him 38 years to get there. He later joked that he would go to 6th Street to celebrate. 

Powerhouse Wynonna Judd made jaws drop with her performance of Foreigner’s “I Want to Know What Love Is” alongside recent touring partner Ashley McBryde. As her performance ended, Judd passionately shouted, “I miss you mama,” adding that she wished her late mother could be there — remarks which earned widespread applause fit for an icon. 

Judd returned to the stage for the finale along with LeAnn Rimes, Slash, Peter Frampton, Billy Gibbons and more to pay tribute to the late, original Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist Gary Rossington. The lineup performed the ballad “Simple Man” and the southern rock band’s most famous anthem, “Sweet Home Alabama,” in a medley to end the night and send Rossington into rock ‘n’ roll heaven. 

For what promises to be the first of many CMTs, Austin and its roaring fans proved they can go toe-to-toe — or boot-to-boot – with Nashville and serve as the new home for one of country’s biggest nights.