Mac Morgan impresses in her first Texas softball season

Katie Borchetta, General Sports Reporter

Sophomore transfer Mac Morgan has shown her importance in and out of the pitching circle so far in Texas softball.

What impressed us about Mac, before we even really saw her throw, was just her personality,” head coach Mike White said. “It was like, ‘Let’s give me the ball.’ I give her that Bulldog mentality.”

Morgan is a transfer pitcher from Arizona State that Texas was able to scoop up, along with sophomore utility player Baylea Brandon, a transfer from LSU. 

Morgan opened her Texas debut in the very first game of the preseason during the Clearwater Invitational in Florida. Morgan pitched the first five innings, allowing only one run in comparison to Texas’ 11.

With over 10 Texas wins under the pitcher’s belt, White said that Mac’s success while pitching is because of her consistency.

“I think she’s very consistent, and that’s one of the things you want as a coach — to be able to know what you’re putting out there day in and day out,” White said.

Transfer pitchers have been a crucial part to Texas’ success since White’s tenure began. 

Before this season, about 50% of the coach’s successful games were won by pitchers who transferred to Texas. Former Fresno State pitcher Hailey Dolcini and former NC State pitcher Estelle Czech were key parts to Texas’ Women’s College World Series run last summer.

Morgan reaffirmed that having already completed a season in Tempe made her transition to Austin easier.

“Even though it’s my first year here, I’ve still been in situations like my first college softball game, first introducing myself to the girls and stuff,” Morgan said. “So I think that helped me come in here, knowing what I’m getting into and what the girls are going to be like.” 

In her lone season as a Sun Devil, she received Third Team All-Pac-12 Conference honors and made the conference All-Freshman Team. She posted an 18–3 record with two shutouts, 75 strikeouts and an ERA of 2.82. 

Now at Texas, Morgan has already learned a lot under the guidance of White. 

“He talks a lot about making each pitch your masterpiece, and I’ve really taken that upon myself to really dig into that and make sure every pitch that I pitch on the mound is a masterpiece of its own thing,” Morgan said. 

Besides Coach White, Morgan credits her recent success to how well she’s meshed with the rest of the Texas roster. 

“I think the dynamic has been great,” Morgan said. “Like we get along off the field and on the field. It’s just great to have everyone that’s in the same mindset getting to where we want to be in the end.”