Amid college stress, Longhorn Art Therapy Club promotes de-stressing through art

Arlinne Montemayor, General Life&Arts Reporter

Relaxing art projects livened up Mason Henegar’s windowless room in spring 2021, catapulting her to ask on Reddit if anyone would be interested in an art therapy group. Longhorn Art Therapy Club launched as a result. 

By fall 2021, the club began gaining traction around campus. Contrary to their name, the club does not practice official art therapy since they’re not led by a certified therapist. Instead, it promotes awareness of the art therapy field and uses art exercises so their members can decompress and express emotions they might not otherwise be able to convey. 

“Using the therapeutic benefits of art helps students release stress and unfold things about themselves they might not (be able to) with words,” said Henegar, founder and president of the club. “Having that community of like-minded people focused on mental health is really important.” 

Every other Monday, the group gathers to relax and create. At each meeting, the officers project art exercises on the board and often lead mindfulness meditations, Henegar, a psychology senior, said. Abby Gunn, psychology senior and the club’s vice president, said the group takes inspiration from various art therapy sourcebooks to inform their exercises. 

“We had one clay project where we were able to create a sanctuary out of clay,” Gunn said. “(It) was a mental sanctuary where you can go. … It’s a peaceful place that you imagine, and it’s something that has helped me with my anxiety.” 

In addition to exercises, the club promotes information about mental health. Nur Sarah Hizam, communications director for the club, said information from the UT Mental Health Ambassadors program helps her raise awareness for mental wellness issues, often posting her findings on the club’s social media. 

“(The MHA program is) talking about finals stress and stress in general,” said Hizam, a psychology sophomore. “I would try to put that on Instagram, so it’s building that awareness and the ability (for the students) to talk to us (knowing) we are capable of listening to this topic.” 

Gunn said she recognizes the daily stress college students face from managing personal lives, classes and extracurriculars. 

“UT is a pretty competitive school,” Gunn said. “I would say there has been an underlying level of stress just having to adapt to a new environment. … There’s a lot of things that could be stressful about it.” 

The club hopes to offer a relaxing reprieve from the chaos of college stress, Henegar said. 

“(The club) is a place where I don’t have to worry about school,” Gunn said. “I can just take time out of my day to just focus on the art and being with people. … It’s a mental reset for me where I get to escape from everything else.” 

Additionally, Henegar said the group never pries about the meaning of people’s art, but members often share naturally, fostering a space for connection. The officers all attribute the club’s success to the members and the kinship they’ve cultivated

“(I’ve learned) there’s really great people at this University, and that you’re never alone,” Henegar said. “People are going through the exact same things as you.”