No. 8 softball defeats Texas State with impressive pitching by Mac Morgan

Tori Garcia, General Sports Reporter

No. 8 Texas softball left Texas State scoreless on Wednesday in San Marcos with a 4-0 win and a dominant performance by sophomore right-handed pitcher Mac Morgan.

The Longhorns faced the Bobcats earlier in the season on March 12 during the Bevo Classic. A battle of an extra inning game to the ninth inning eventually resulted in a 4-5 loss for Texas at Red & Charline McCombs Field. On Wednesday’s matchup, the Longhorns were looking for redemption.

For the first time since 2015, the Longhorns upheld two consecutive wins at Bobcat Softball Stadium. The Longhorns won last season’s matchup on the road 4-2.

Morgan took the mound to start the game for the Longhorns. Morgan pitched all seven innings and allowed zero runs by the Bobcats. She had six strikeouts on the night and increased her personal season record to 12-2. 

Freshman catcher Reese Atwood made a dent on the scoreboard early in the top of the second inning. Atwood’s one-out home run marked 43 home runs for the Longhorns on the season.  

With two Longhorns on base in the top of the third inning, senior right-handed pitcher Tori McCann for the Bobcats was pulled from the mound and replaced by junior right-handed pitcher Jessica Mullins to force some adjustments on Texas’ offense. McCann utilized her change-up quite often, allowing Texas to take advantage of her predictability and hit ground balls off of her first pitches, giving Texas some early momentum.

A pitching battle between Morgan and Mullins was the name of the game up until the sixth inning, where the Longhorns grasped more control of the scoreboard and amplified their lead by three more runs over the Bobcats.

A missed change-up that landed low for Mullins allowed junior first baseman and designated player Courtney Day to drive a shot to the right-center gap, allowing freshman shortstop and second baseman Vivian Martinez to tag home plate. Following that, sophomore catcher and first baseman Katie Cimusz racked up two RBIs by taking an inside pitch up the middle. The inning ended with a pitching change of junior right-handed pitcher Karsen Pierce in exchange for Mullins. Both Texas and Texas State were unable to reach home plate in the seventh and final inning.

Cimusz and Atwood were Texas’ offensive leaders with a 2-3 at bat each on Wednesday. However, Martinez still leads the Longhorns with a .396 batting average for the entire season.

Texas will look to continue their four-game winning streak on Friday when the Longhorns begin their three-game series against Kansas in Austin at McCombs Field.