UT student finds home away from home in Madrid

Celine Farhat, Contributor

Editor’s note: This column was submitted by a member of the UT community. 

I remember feeling scared as my plane was landing in Madrid, but the good kind of scared. It was the kind where I didn’t know why I decided to take on this independent challenge but knew it would become a life changing experience. My best memory is celebrating my 21st birthday in Templo de Debod, my favorite park in the city. It was the culmination of homemade sweets my friends brought and being showered with flowers and affection that made me realize I had achieved my goal in studying abroad: making meaningful connections with people from around the world. I did not anticipate staying in touch with friends I made, a whole year after my exchange.

Universidad Pontificia de Comillas, my host university, was a five minute walk from my flat in Chamberí, a local and vibrant neighborhood in Madrid. When planning my semester exchange, I knew I wanted to make room in my degree plan to take cultural classes. Spanish Culture Through Films taught me about the history of Spain and its political and cultural impact on society. Films like “Pan’s Labyrinth” and “Marshland” taught me about the long-lasting effects of Francisco Franco’s dictatorship in the 20th century. The knowledge I gained allowed me to recognize the resilience of the people and better appreciate the art by Pablo Picasso and Francisco Goya found in Museo del Prado and Reina Sofía.

One of the lessons I learned was not to plan too many trips over a short period of time. The more I was traveling around Europe, the more I realized my time in Madrid was limited. Towards the end of the semester, I canceled trips to other parts of Europe to spend more quality time in Spain. That was the best decision I could have made because it allowed me to do things with my friends on a regular basis, like go to the local market Sunday mornings or picnic in Parque del Retiro. But the biggest lesson I learned abroad is that your exchange experience is what you make it. Everyone’s goals are different and there is no “right” way to do your exchange. I personally wanted to start fresh in a city where nobody knew me, where I can unapologetically be myself. 

I did a lot of self-discovery throughout my exchange and was able to take the lessons I learned with me back to the States. Having to leave Madrid was heartbreaking and I was eager to find a way to stay connected to my exchange experience. That is when I decided to join International Engineering Education as a student associate to inspire other engineering students at UT to study abroad. I am happy to say that I am following my own dream to pursue my master’s in Madrid later this year, in the city I now call home.

Farhat is a mechanical engineering senior and student associate at the International Engineering Education office, from Houston, Texas.