Texas softball wins series over Kansas in tight scoring last game

Katie Borchetta, General Sports Reporter

After an upset loss on Friday and a shutout win on Saturday, Texas softball takes the series 2–1 over Kansas with the rubber match finishing 3–2 in Texas’ favor.

Friday’s game started out with an upset for the Longhorns, dropping the game 9–3. The Jayhawks were able to score three runs off Texas in the first inning and were able to fend off Texas’ offense while continuing to grow a lead. The Longhorns’ unimpressive start to the series seemed to be blamed on their errors. Texas had accrued five errors by the end of the game.

On Saturday, Texas, with a vengeance, took the game 10–0 in just five innings. The game ended in five innings because of the run ahead rule allowing a game to be called after five innings if a team is up by eight or more runs. Sophomore pitcher Mac Morgan pitched all five innings to shut down the Jayhawks. Besides a better pitching game, Texas had a much stronger offensive game as well with nine runs in the bottom of the first inning, giving them a good lead to take the second game 10–0. With the score of the series now tied at 1–1, it was up to Sunday’s matchup to secure the series win.

The Sunday matchup had a slow start with no scoring in the first three innings. In the top of the fourth, Kansas was able to score two runs. However, Texas maneuvered a quick comeback in the bottom of the fourth when junior utility player Camille Corona hit a double to left field, allowing junior outfielder Bella Dayton to score. Redshirt freshman outfielder Ashton Maloney then hit a single, bringing in senior outfielder Lou Gilbert, tying the score 2–2.

The score remained tied until the bottom of the seventh when sophomore infielder Mia Scott hit a single. Scott was able to advance to second after a fielder’s choice on freshman infielder Viviana Martinez’s grounder and then would score the winning run off of a single from freshman catcher Reese Atwood, giving Texas the game and series courtesy of a 3–2 win.

Freshman Citlaly Guitierrez pitched the first four innings for the Longhorns throwing 48 pitches,  having two strikeouts and only giving up two runs.

Morgan pitched the next three innings after coming out of her shutout game yesterday and threw 38 pitches with one strikeout, not giving up a run or a hit to the Jayhawks.

Scott finished the game with one run and two hits. Atwood, Corona and Moloney had one hit and one RBI each. Dayton and Gilbert both had one run for scoring highlights. 

After coming off the series win, Texas will take on No. 3 Oklahoma State in a three-game series in Austin starting April 20.