UT alum hosts Medici’s first art show, opens doors for local artists

Anai Jaime, General Life&Arts Reporter

Warm yellow lights illuminate the rows of ethereal paintings and artworks lined on the walls of Medici Roasting on Guadalupe Street. The true art, however, lies within the image of sparkled smiles and whimsical chatter among the dozens of viewers gathered in the coffee shop on the opening night of its first ever art show. 

Molly Bartell, a UT art history and architectural history alumna, began her journey as an art curator with her first planned art show on Friday. Bartell said the idea to host an art show at her place of work came to her when looking at the architecture and layout of the building. Furthermore, Bartell said buildings represent a place for people to come together and adding art to them provokes thoughtful conversations.

“The whole point of the theme (is) to have potency — art evokes something a little bit deeper,” Bartell said. “I was looking for artists that can only confess whatever they’re feeling in their mediums. People will get a lot of complexity out of the show. It can be easy viewing if you want it to be, but if you’re looking for something that plays with your mind a little bit, (Medici is) a great place to be.”

The Medici art show allowed local artists, including UT students such as Karla Stambaugh, to showcase their talents. The show featured full-time artists, as well as those pursuing a creative hobby. Stambaugh said artists will receive full commission from the donations made through the event, allowing each one to fully express themselves in their work.

“It was really important that (Medici) hosted it because it gave students like me an opportunity to do something other than for grades and exams,” said Stambaugh, a management information systems sophomore. “Usually in college, you’re being judged by your grades, and I really just wanted to show my art for the longest time. It was really cool that (Medici) didn’t even care for the money.”

Medici Roasting holds a responsibility to bring the UT community together since the coffee shop stands so close to campus, making it an integral part of the college atmosphere, Bartell said. 

Amongst the onlookers, Annie Anand spent her time casually observing the art with a group of friends. 

“It’s nice for people like us who, on a Friday night, just want to do something casual — to just look around and see what we would want … in our houses or just comment on different pieces,” Anand said.

The show provides artists a chance to advance their careers by increasing exposure and building portfolios. The event enabled artists around Austin to come together and support one another along with friends, family and strangers, Stambaugh said. When patrons approached her art, Stambaugh said she felt proud that people admired her work.

“It was a feeling I’ve never experienced,” Stambaugh said. “To be so happy for someone to look at a canvas (with my work) was such a weird feeling.” 

Bartell said she hopes the UT and greater Austin community will continue showing up to the art show that will be available to see until May 19.

“Art is a conversation piece — it’s communicating with us,” Bartell said. “You can put a table and chairs in a place, but I think when you put up a work of art, you know you’re adding an entity to the room. (These) are pieces that talk about love, relationships and commitment. There’s pieces that touch on moments of life that we take for granted. … I think people will be pleasantly surprised as to what they learned about other people’s experiences.”