How Eliot Spizzirri used wrist injury to propel him to No. 1

Ryan Hopper, General Sports Reporter

Eliot Spizzirri has dominated his competition in his junior season as he’s already accumulated five Big 12 Player of the Week honors. His ten total weekly awards is now the most in the conference history, and he still has another year of eligibility remaining. 

The Greenwich, Connecticut product began the season at No. 3 in the singles rankings before his reign as No. 1 started in early February. While Spizzirri has dropped a few sets this year, he has amassed a 16-1 record due to his ability to consistently finish matches strong. 

“He has a tendency to rise to the occasion,” Texas men’s tennis head coach Bruce Berque said during a media availability. “When his back does get put against the wall, he responds really well.” 

Last season, Spizzirri played through a nagging left wrist injury that left him sidelined for the entire fall season, putting him at a disadvantage for the spring season.

“It feels good when I think back to some of the struggles I had last season and just the last year and a half with my left wrist,” Spizzirri said, “​​I’m doing something right, and it’s paying off. So yeah, it’s just a testament to the hard work, but it certainly feels good.” 

Berque said he believes the wrist injury may have helped him technically and mentally in the long run. Due to the injury affecting his backhand, Spizzirri had to develop a more potent forehand and slice, a shot with backspin that is crucial for drop shots, to hide his temporary backhand deficiency.

“The response he had to the injury, being willing to put himself out there for his team even if he had to take some losses and maybe look a little vulnerable, I think that mentally really helped him,” Berque said. “He’s just continued to play with a chip on his shoulder and a hunger to reach his long-term goals not just for the team here but beyond Texas in professional tennis.”

In doubles, Spizzirri had to build chemistry with his new partner, redshirt junior Cleeve Harper. Spizzirri had success with his former partner junior Siem Woldeab, with the pair earning Second Team All-Big 12 honors in 2022 and unanimous First Team All-Big 12 honors in 2021. However, Spizzirri took the change in stride. 

“Cleeve is super easy to get used to and fun to play with because he’s such a good doubles player,” Spizzirri said. “So far we had a really good stretch earlier in the season, and then kind of struggled for a little bit, and then we actually switched sides of the court on the returning side.” 

Since Spizzirri regained his prolific backhand that was lost due to injury, the coaching staff suggested that he and Harper switch sides of the court. Spizzirri switched to the ad side, the left side of the court, and Harper went to the right side, or the deuce side. 

After a midseason slump that culminated in a loss to a pairing from UCF that was ranked No. 76 nationally, Harper and Spizzirri went on a six match winning streak. 

As for the future, Spizzirri has unwavering confidence that he will become a professional player and looks forward to utilizing his remaining time at Texas in order to make that goal a reality. 

“I’m gonna play pro tennis,” Spizzirri said. “That’s been my dream since I was a little kid is to become the best pro tennis player I can be, and so I’m going to strive to do that every day. I can’t wait to get on the tour.”