Social media editor says goodbye, finally admits her addiction to social media

Sarah Winch, Social Media Editor

Write, edit, post, repeat.

That sums up what my past three years at the Texan have been like. 

OK, just kidding. My time at the Texan has meant so much more than those simple words and all of the Texan’s tweets, memes, TikToks and Instagram posts combined.

Since my freshman year, I have had the honor of working with such amazing people doing the thing we all love the most — sharing impactful stories with our community. My high school self would have never thought that I would get to turn my passion for social media into an actual job. Who knew that applying to the Texan, while locked up in my Jester dorm room during the middle of a pandemic, would become one of the best decisions I’ve made at UT? 

I can’t thank the Texan enough for providing me the space to learn, grow and connect with such talented peers. I’ve gotten to experience the behind-the-scenes of social media, collaborate with others on digital projects and even become a mastermind in fitting everything under 280 characters. 

It’s been wonderful to see the Texan and its social department grow so much since my freshman year. I’m so proud that the Texan and our social media have continued to be a valuable source for our community, through our coverage of breaking news, Texas Athletics, SXSW and of course, Harry Styles throwing up a hook ‘em during his concert (you’re welcome).

Despite so much uncertainty during my first few semesters on campus, the Texan quickly became my second home. I’m so lucky to have found this community, and I will always cherish the people I’ve met and the memories I’ve made.

Bernice: Thank you for being my social media sidekick and for dealing with my constant Slack messages and questions. You have been so supportive and have taught me so much throughout this journey. I’m so grateful to have worked alongside you since our freshman year.

Sophia, Chloe, Annabelle and Jasmine: Our social department would not be where it is today without y’all. Thank you for being so supportive and helpful every day, even while dealing with broken laptops and our frequent chaotic Tuesdays. Y’all have been the best p-staff I could ask for, and I’m so excited to see you all continue to flourish at the Texan.

To the one who started it all, Mrs. Brown: Thank you for giving me a space to grow and learn about the world of journalism. You helped me discover my passion for this industry, and I can’t thank you enough for being my biggest mentor and cheerleader.

I have to admit, I might have an identity crisis without the Texan in my life. I can’t imagine not logging onto my laptop every morning to edit social copy. Yet, I know that I’m leaving the Texan in good hands. Now it’s time for me to log off and embark on my next journey. But don’t worry, you can always find me online.