Sports desk editor to miss the Texan despite dramatic introduction to sports journalism

Hunter Dworaczyk, Sports Desk Editor

My first ever sports media availability ended with me riding in the back of a police car. 

Seriously. Someone unsuccessfully tried to aggressively swipe my baseball season press pass in front of the Disch, so I got a precautionary ride back to campus. I will never forget the look of horror on my fellow staffers’ faces when I recounted the events at that night’s sports department pitch meeting. 

Somehow I convinced myself to return the following week.

My time at The Daily Texan was unfortunately rather short as a transfer student from Wharton County Junior College, but my two years here have formed me both as a journalist and a person. I’ve truly been blessed to have had so many awesome opportunities while covering noteworthy teams here at Texas. 

To my sports editors — Nathan, Hannah, Matthew B, Christina — I cannot find the words to describe how much I value the leadership you brought to me and to the sports department. You each took a chance on me in some way, whether it was hiring me into a position or trusting me with a coveted beat. I am beyond thankful to be able to call you all my friends.

Jordan, working the baseball and football beats with you was some of the most fun I’ve had in my life. You never failed to breathe life into what otherwise were quiet, business-like press boxes. You also made the six-hour drive to Lubbock bearable, so thank you for that.

To Payne, Matthew C, Shez, Daily Flexin’ intramural dodgeball teammates and the rest of the sports staff, thank you for the many laughs. I was scared of the culture shock I would experience in Austin because my hometown is small and has a population of about 3,000 people, but you all made me feel right at home while I was here.

Lastly, I would like to give those who are the closest to me their rightful flowers. To Mom, my twin brother Casey, my girlfriend Cecilia and all of the close friends in my life outside of the Texan, I could not have done it without your support. You provided me with a listening ear when I was stressed and somehow never grew tired of hearing me talking about sports. Your consistent love and encouragement lifted me to greater heights than I would have reached otherwise.

As I write these last words of my student journalism career, I know I will look at these days as the most formative of my life. The Daily Texan welcomed this inexperienced writer and turned him into a reporter who is now ready for the real world. I’d say that is quite adequate.