Texas softball takes win over Sam Houston after a week off

Katie Borchetta, Senior Sports Reporter

After last week’s midweek matchup against UTSA was canceled due to severe weather, Texas softball dominated against Sam Houston, winning 12-2 in only five innings. 

“It feels good, I missed it,” freshman shortstop and second baseman Viviana Martinez said about winning the game and being able to play for the first time in a week.

Martinez started off the first inning with a double to left field, allowing sophomore infielder Mia Scott to score the first run against the Bearkats. 

In the second inning, Scott singled to left field and gave junior outfielder Alyssa Popelka an opportunity to run in.

Sam Houston then retaliated in the top of the third, tying the score 2-2. Freshman catcher and first baseman Reese Atwood homered in at the bottom of the third, giving herself a run along with one for freshman Leighann Goode.

Both Scott and junior outfielder Bella Dayton were able to get a stunner in the bottom of the fourth, allowing Texas to pull away 6-2. 

The bottom of the sixth was prolonged for Texas, with Dayton singling center field which led to sophomore catcher and first baseman Katie Cimusz to score. Scott later singled to third, letting senior outfielder Lou Gilbert to score. To finish off the scoring for Texas, Martinez hit a home run deep into the right field letting herself, Goode, Scott and Dayton to score and furthering  Texas’ lead to 12-2.

Sophomore Mac Morgan pitched two innings to start Texas off during the fifth inning, only giving up one hit. Estelle Czech pitched one inning and Citlaly Gutierrez finished out the night with two strikeouts and no hits or runs. 

“I think we stayed cool, we had fun. Obviously, Mac Morgan went out there and she did a great job out there for the first couple of innings,” head coach Mike White said.“I think we had some fun and the coaches had fun, so all and all a good night.” 

Texas ended the game after the fifth inning because of the run ahead rule, which allows a game to be called if a team is ahead by more than eight runs after the fifth inning.

Texas will take on Baylor today at 6 p.m. to start off its weekend series.