Texas softball finishes off NCAA Regionals with a close win against Texas A&M

Freshman+right-handed+Citlaly+Gutierrez+throws+a+pitch+at+home+opener+against+Lamar+University+on+Feb.+15%2C+2023.+

Alisha Dulaney

Freshman right-handed Citlaly Gutierrez throws a pitch at home opener against Lamar University on Feb. 15, 2023.

Katie Borchetta, General Sports Reporter

After taking down Seton Hall in a five-inning shutout at home on Friday, Texas softball conquered second-seed Texas A&M in the second round of the NCAA Regionals, with a 2-1 score in Austin.

Both the Longhorns and the Aggies started out the game slowly, with no scoring from either team in the first two innings. However, starting pitcher freshman Citlaly Gutierrez, as well as the Texas defense, seemed to keep the Aggie offense from getting a hit with multiple innings where they only had to face three batters to get all three outs.

Texas A&M was able to sneak in a run in the top of the third inning after a walk and two consecutive hits, getting an Aggie over home plate.

However, Texas did not let them keep the lead for long after redshirt freshman outfielder Ashton Maloney hit a single up the middle and junior outfielder Alyssa Popelka followed up with another single. Freshman shortstop and second baseman Leighann Goode was then hit by a pitch, giving Texas no outs and loaded bases. Popelka and Maloney were both able to score after junior outfielder Bella Dayton reached base on fielder’s choice, giving Texas the 2-1 lead over the Aggies.

There was no scoring in the next four innings for A&M, as Texas made it a defense-focused game.

Texas A&M also had two errors in their defensive game in comparison to Texas’ absence of errors that helped the Longhorns take the win.

Gutierrez pitched the first five innings for Texas, only allowing three hits and one run. She had four strikeouts and 82 pitches thrown. Sophomore Sophia Simpson came in to relieve Gutierrez for the last two innings allowing no hits and three strikeouts with only 25 pitches thrown.

Maloney finished off the game with two hits and one run, Popelka had one hit and one run, Dayton had one RBI and sophomore infielder Mia Scott had one hit, leaving the Longhorns with another success in regional play.

Texas will now head into the NCAA Super Regionals next week beginning on May 26, with more details to be announced.