Gordon headlines impressive Longhorn Big 12 honors

Evan Vieth, Associate Sports Editor

Three days after securing a Big 12 regular season title, the Longhorns brought home a collection of eight awards, headlined by junior Lucas Gordon’s Pitcher of the Year honor.

Gordon’s campaign featured an impressive 2.48 ERA over 83.1 innings pitched, both top two in the Big 12. Among starting pitchers with over 70 innings pitched (10 total), Gordon gave up the least amount of earned runs (23) and struck out the fourth most batters (85) while giving up just eight home runs all year.

Joining Gordon on the first team was junior catcher Garret Guillemette, outfielder Porter Brown, outfielder Dylan Campbell and redshirt sophomore pitcher Lebarron Johnson Jr. Junior third baseman Peyton Powell also hauled in an All Big 12 second team honor. The trio of batters combined for 39 home runs with 156 RBIs and an average OPS (on base and slugging) of 1.031 in their 56 games of action. Johnson Jr. was third in the Big 12 in ERA and held opponents to a .213 batting average. The fireballer also gave up the least amount of hits among qualified starters in the conference.

Freshman first baseman Jared Thomas also received an award, being placed on the Big 12’s all-freshman team, the first honoree since current Longhorn Mitchell Daly two years ago. Thomas was one of five batters selected for the team, finishing third in OPS by a freshman and was one of the Big 12’s most patient hitters, striking out just 30 times in 182 at-bats.

Though he was not able to win coach of the year, five All Big 12 first-team selections are the most that have ever been received on a David Pierce led Texas team, and eight separate Longhorns receiving awards is also a personal best for Pierce.

Texas will look to add more awards to their shelf as the Big 12 tournament starts on Wednesday, May 24 against the Kansas Jayhawks.