Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton impeached by 121-23 House vote Saturday

Ireland Blouin, Senior News Reporter

Editor’s note: This article was updated on June 1, to reflect the newly appointed Attorney General. 

The Texas House of Representatives voted to adopt the 20 articles of the impeachment of Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton in a 121-23 vote on May 27. 

His impeachment by the House means Paxton is legally temporarily suspended from all attorney general duties as he awaits a Senate trial. Gov. Greg Abbott appointed former Texas Secretary of State John Scott as the new short-term interim attorney general of Texas for the period during the Texas Senate’s impeachment proceedings of Ken Paxton.

The vote was held two days after the House investigative committee released their findings in the 20 articles of the impeachment. The articles accused Paxton of a multitude of misconduct, including obstruction of justice, accepting bribes, disregarding his official duties and the misuse of public resources. The articles also mention felony charges of securities fraud pending from 2015. 

Paxton called the impeachment proceedings “illegal, unethical and profoundly unjust” in a statement on Twitter

Two-thirds of the present Texas Senate’s members will have to vote to convict Paxton to be removed from office. No attorney general has ever been impeached and removed from office in Texas. Paxton’s wife, State Sen. Angela Paxton, will be among the party of voters and has not announced whether or not she will be present to vote.

Paxton will need the support of 11 state senators during the trial to remain in office.