The Daily Texan’s guide to Austin Pride celebrations

Trisha Dasgupta, Senior Life&Arts Reporter

With the arrival of LGBTQ+ Pride Month, Austin’s lively culture provides opportunities to engage with the local queer community in a plethora of ways this June. As the summer ramps up, The Daily Texan compiled a list of Pride-related community events students can check out. 

June 10 —  Banned Book Advocacy Club for Young Adults at Reverie Books

Dedicated to uplifting marginalized communities year-round, local Austin bookshop Reverie Books hosts weekly book clubs for young adults. This month, Reverie Books’ Book Club will be reading and discussing “All Boys Aren’t Blue” by George M. Johnson, a memoir about Johnson’s experiences growing up as a queer Black man from New Jersey. This club offers readers a chance to support and learn from queer voices in the literary field. 

June 11 — Jane Austin Queer Pride and Prejudice Improv

Putting the Pride in “Pride and Prejudice,” local Austin improv group, Jane Austin, will put a queer spin on Jane Austen’s beloved novels this month at the Hideout Theatre. Made for lovers of Austen’s works, viewers can celebrate a comedic LGBTQ+ retelling of the beloved author’s stories. 

June 16 — Austin Pride Prom

Although the school year may have just ended, students can still celebrate prom at the Austin Public Library for this year’s Pride Prom. Featuring drag performers and DJs from the Queer Vinyl Collective, the Austin Public Library will open its doors to an 18-and-older crowd for a ‘20s-themed dance. 

June 18 — Alexis Michelle at OilCan Harry’s

RuPaul’s Drag Race is coming to Austin, with two performances from season nine contestant Alexis Michelle. Hosted by Oilcan Harry’s, Austin’s oldest gay bar, concertgoers can experience a slice of Austin’s LGBTQ+ history while catching routines from Michelle and various local drag queens. 

June 23 — Pride Trail Run with Trail Roots

Trail Roots, an Austin running group, aims to build community through hikes and runs through Austin’s famous trails. This month, Trail Roots presents a chance to connect with LGBTQ+ runners and hikers with a run hosted by Trail Roots member, Lindsay Legé, a queer runner and therapist. 

June 24 — Pride in Local Music

No Austin celebration is complete without live music, and the Austin LGBT Chamber of Commerce presents a fun opportunity to engage with local LGBTQ+ musicians at the fourth annual Pride in Local Music festival. Held at the Long Center, the festival will feature performances from several local LGBTQ+ artists, with a portion of every ticket sale going to the Austin LGBT Chamber of Commerce Education Fund. 

June 24 — The Majestic Ball at the Paramount Theatre

Held at the historic Paramount Theatre, students can close out Pride Month with some disco fever at The Majestic Ball, a ‘70s-themed set of drag performances hosted by drag legend Diamond Dior Davenport.