Texas women’s track and field finish out season with fifth championship title

Katie Borchetta, Senior Sports Reporter

Texas track and field finished off its season on a positive note by earning a women’s championship win and a men’s 13th place ranking in the NCAA Outdoor Championships, with the Forty Acres hosting the event from June 7–10.

For the fifth time in school history, the women’s team was named NCAA champions, scoring 83 points, a new school record.

Graduate student Julien Alfred helped Texas secure the victory with 22.5 points scored. She placed first overall in the 100 meter, finishing in 10.72 seconds, the 200 meter with a 21.73 and assisted Texas with taking another win in the 4×100 meter relay, running the first leg.

The 4×100 meter relay was finished in 41.60 seconds by Alfred, alongside graduate student Ezinne Abba, junior Rhasidat Adeleke and junior Kevona Davis. This group had already broken the collegiate record for the event three times this season, with the fastest being 41.55 earlier this season.
“We know each other really well. We’re friends on and off the track,” Adeleke said. “We have a really good bond, we have really good team chemistry, so it’s more than just running for our school, we’re running for each other, we’re running for each other’s families. We’re just really close, and it makes it that much more special.”
Davis and graduate student Lanae-Tava Thomas showed out in the 200 meter, scoring third and fifth respectively. Although Texas saw success from its star relay team, many individual efforts came together in order to divide and conquer.

Adeleke gave Texas the upper hand with her first place win in the 400 meter, done in 49.2 seconds. Sophomore Ackelia Smith finished first in women’s long jump with 6.88 meters and second in high jump scoring 14.5 meters. Junior Kristine Blazevica finished third overall in the women’s heptathlon with 6,058 points for all the events. Graduate student Valery Tobias also helped Texas with a sixth place win in the 800 meter.

While the men’s team didn’t see a championship title, it was no team to be overlooked. Senior Leo Neugebauer set three personal bests on the first day of the meet, getting first overall in the 100 meter in 10.61 seconds, then getting third in the long jump with 7.68 meters and second in shot put with a 16.27 meter throw. He finished his first day with 4,591 points, a personal best for the athlete. He also placed first in discus, third in javelin, second in pole vault, third in the 400 meter and second in the 110 meter hurdles.

Neugebauer was named 2022 NCAA decathlon champion, setting the Texas record with a score of 8,836 points and breaking seven personal bests out of 10 events.

“It feels amazing,” Neugebauer said. “The fact that I was able to come out on top and with a record, especially here in Austin, I’m more than happy.”

The six-time All-American ended the first day with a 21-point lead, and entered his second day of competition with a season-best time of 14.10 in the 100 meter hurdles. Neugebauer’s win gave Texas its first points of the competition, adding 10 points to the board.

Junior Yusuf Bizimana also became national runner up for the 800 meter, finishing with a time of 1:45.74, a personal best. Bizimana now holds two of Texas’ top five times in the school’s history.
Senior Crayton Carrozza, freshman Jeremiah Nubbe and sophomore Sam Hurley all reached second team All-American for their events, with Nubbe securing a personal best in the discus with a heave of 57.84 meters.
The women’s team sits at No. 1 in the Big 12 standings, holding tight to their place after acquiring their 11th NCAA team title.