Wes Anderson’s ‘Asteroid City’ underwhelming despite out-of-this-world direction

Ryan Ranc, Life&Arts Senior Film Columnist

Wes Anderson’s “Asteroid City” follows an ensemble cast in Asteroid City during a Junior Stargazer event when an out-of-this-world occurrence confines them to their deserted, All-American town.

“Asteroid City” contains Wes Anderson’s usual flair, from his signature symmetrical frame composition to his constantly long takes. Everything audiences have come to expect of an Anderson film remains. Of all of Anderson’s movies, audiences will find this one most emblematic of his style. Anderson’s total freedom and control feel refreshing in an era where intellectual properties have multiple sequels helmed by the same production companies. 

Arguably, this film also has the most meticulously crafted cinematography of all of Anderson’s ventures. Each shot feels like a painting, with one of the most unique and comical shots showing two characters photographing a nuclear bomb explosion from their diner window.

“Asteroid City’s” cast stands out as one of the best in a long time; big names like Jason Schwartzman, Scarlett Johansson, Tom Hanks, Jeffrey Wright, Maya Hawke and Bryan Cranston grace the screen. Every actor gives their all to deliver the satirical and artistic vision Anderson set out to accomplish. On top of that, every character nicely sells dry humor, making gags and ironic setups quite successful.

The film falls short in the plot department. Anderson tackles themes like the love for storytelling through the story’s framing devices. Additionally, the film satirizes Americana as a whole through its settings and conflicts, which include the American government’s response to extraterrestrial occurrences. Despite sounding interesting on paper, the plot never surpasses a surface-level story. In no way is the film rushed or lacking, but it sometimes feels bland and uninteresting. The visual jokes and jabs at America, like the vending machines that sell everything from cigarettes to land, do make up for this but don’t quite carry the entire story.

“Asteroid City” possesses all the right pieces of a fantastic film, but Wes Anderson does not fit each one together as perfectly as the concept advertises. While worth seeing in theaters, the movie is more for audiences already familiar with Anderson-isms than general audiences.

3 ½ asteroids out of 5