Nobel Prize winner and UT professor John Goodenough dies at 100

Rylie Lillibridge, Senior News Reporter

John B. Goodenough, UT professor and developer of the lithium-ion battery, died Sunday at the age of 100.

“John’s legacy is a shining example of advancing our research and teaching mission, and his contributions to battery science and engineering will be felt far into the future,” Executive Vice President and Provost Sharon  Wood said in an email announcement. 

In 2019, Goodenough became the oldest person awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his work in developing the lithium-ion battery, the rechargeable power source for phones, laptops and other modern-day electronics. 

“He was an early adopter of interdisciplinary research, working closely throughout his career with scientists and engineers from a variety of disciplines,” Wood said.

Goodenough began his career at the University at 64 years old, where he served as a faculty member in the Cockrell School of Engineering for 37 years, according to a press release

“John’s legacy as a brilliant scientist is immeasurable — his discoveries improved the lives of billions of people around the world,”  UT President Jay Hartzell said on Instagram. “John’s work and commitment to our mission are the ultimate reflection of our aspirations as Longhorns – that what starts here changes the world — and he will be greatly missed among our UT community.”