Offer online emergency training modules

Ameline Muyeed, Columnist

Emergency Management at UT should make emergency training more accessible to students by creating an online module that educates on safety and survival. An optional online module that prepares students for unlikely events like extreme weather, cardiac arrests and active shootings would be more feasible for students to complete because it is less time-consuming than in-person training. 

The virtual nature of online modules means that students can access and complete the training at their convenience. This flexibility eliminates the barriers that often deter students from attending in-person emergency training, making it accessible to more students by allowing them to fit the training around their commitments. 

Additionally, modules usually incorporate videos, interactive quizzes and simulations. This approach enables students to test their skills in simulated scenarios, inculcating confidence in their ability to react effectively in real-life emergencies. 

Veronica Trevino, assistant director of issues management at the Office of Emergency Management, outlined emergency preparedness opportunities in an emailed statement. She emphasized the training and communication systems in place to help in weather emergencies.  

“The Office of Emergency Management attends numerous orientation sessions through the summer and fall semesters, sharing resources with the campus community, including their Emergency Preparedness Pocket Guides and Inclement Weather Terms,” Trevino wrote. “They also offer TAKE10 CPR trainings through UT Learn to help students become more comfortable and gain more confidence in cardiac arrest situations.” 

Additionally, The UT Police Department offers training sessions called Civilian Response to Active Shooter Events. At these in-person training sessions, officers discuss active shooter events and provide options that adhere to the Run, Hide, Fight protocol

While there is value in an in-person format, students are occupied by academic and personal commitments, making it challenging to carve out time for emergency preparedness training. 

Finance senior Jackson Paul highlighted the benefits of in-person training. 

“With in-person training, you can go into depth, be a lot more personalized,” Paul said. “So, if something is unclear … or (someone) wants more color detail on the point, there’s somebody to talk to.”  

Paul said he was open to the idea of an online module on emergency training, but that UT should not push students to participate.  

“If you have a module that was focused on the most high-value interventions it would turn out to be more effective because students would be more likely to do it,” Paul said.  

Certainly, there are benefits to a concentrated approach. However, a comprehensive online module that covers all emergencies including extreme weather, natural disasters, cardiac arrest and active shooting events can provide a general overview to students. Students can then choose whether to do in-person training or an online module. 

By making emergency training accessible through online modules, we can empower UT students to face unexpected challenges with courage and confidence.

Muyeed is an economics junior from Southlake, Texas.