Beat the heat during happy hour at these campus-area dive bars

In the daily peak of Texas heat, a dive bar happy hour provides an inexpensive place to meet with friends, lounge and, of course, grab a discounted drink — perfect for students getting off work from an unpaid internship. These campus dives are sure to offer an irresistible happy hour where Austin residents can sit in air conditioning and enjoy a groovy environment.

Mockingbird Saloon — happy hour weekdays from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

The Mockingbird Saloon’s happy hour, along with their daily deals, make a sure bet for those looking to save a buck. In the scorching cement landscape of The Drag, the bar provides an extremely well air-conditioned interior with three pool tables and two dart boards. For customers with a four-legged best friend, the saloon is a dog-friendly establishment and gives pups a place to get out of the house after a long day of chewing toys and naps.

Abel’s Dos — happy hour daily until 7 p.m.

As the successor of Cain and Abel’s, Abel’s Dos still possesses the same college livelihood as the original establishment. Just west of the intersection at 24th Street and San Gabriel Street, the bar’s happy hour leaves chicken tender baskets and Texas Teas  —  a take on Long Island Ice Teas  — scattered throughout its tables. The new location provides more seating outside than inside, but an army of fans waits to cool off patrons brave enough to endure happy hour during this summer’s record-breaking heat. The move caused Abel’s to lose its classic dive look, but weekly deals like Tuesday’s dollar beers continue to let college students on a budget live lavishly for the night.

Crown and Anchor Pub — happy hour daily from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Crown and Anchor stands alone on the list as a pub, meaning unlike the others, they only serve beer and seltzers — no mixed drinks here. However, there’s no reason to fret. Crown and Anchor is loaded with a handful of beers on tap, as well as in bottles and cans. Luckily, sharing a pitcher with a friend can keep competitive tensions low while clashing in a game of pool.

Posse East Bar and Grill — happy hour daily from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. and all day Wednesday and Sunday

With a renowned burger and college-budget prices for pitchers, Posse East at the corner of San Jacinto Boulevard and Duval Street makes for a reliable hideout. While the food at Posse proves essential for the establishment, their bar and bartenders are not to be overlooked. The employees’ radiant attitude and service are sure to keep customers returning for another drink.

Hole In The Wall — happy hour weekdays from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. and all day Sunday 

Not many bars can compete with Hole In The Wall’s history and reputation. Since its opening in 1974, HITW has remained a staple for lovers of live music and UT students and staff, perfect for a post-work happy hour with live entertainment. Located at the intersection of Dean Keeton Street and Guadalupe Street, HITW consistently schedules performances every day of the week. But with three bars, two stages, one karaoke stage, a pool table and lots of outside seating, this West Campus dive has more to offer than a great happy hour with $10 draft pitchers. HITW’S versatility makes it worth sticking around after happy hour. Either way, bring your listening ears for this dive.

Donn’s Depot — happy hour weekdays from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Although a bit farther from campus than the other bars, Donn’s Depot should not be counted out. With a dance floor and a honky tonk cover band packed into a small building on the corner of West Fifth Street and West Lynn Street, Donn’s creates an undeniably Texan ambiance. All ages and generations can be found at Donn’s, and they never fail to keep the dance floor alive.