Rise at West Campus delays move-in date

Joyati Modak

Editor’s note: This article was originally published with a photo of a different complex, not Rise at West Campus. The Texan regrets this error. 

Rise at West Campus announced in an email to its future residents that it would not be ready to welcome them on their original scheduled move-in date of Aug. 16. 

The complex sent the email to residents on July 25, a little under four weeks before they were scheduled to move into their brand new apartments. Students speculated online about the progress of the building as it came closer and closer to their move-in dates. 

Katia Barrientos, a business finance sophomore and future Rise resident, said she spoke with an employee at Rise, and the employee said they would keep residents updated about the status of August move-in.  

“I feel like they were hiding stuff from us,” Barrientos said. “I feel like these kinds of things you know in advance, and they could have told us earlier. Whenever I talked to them when signing up, they said that they would give us a heads up maybe two months prior to any delays on the apartment. So I don’t think that they were super being truthful with us.”

In the email, the complex said the construction team was doing everything in their power to get their doors opened. They also said the Rise management team will provide updates as they come so residents can monitor progress and construction milestones. 

“I’ve always felt like among the GroupMe for Rise, a lot of people are complaining,” Barrientos said. “The reason why it’s late is because they’re having issues with the city. We’re just like, how long is it going to take? Isn’t the building supposed to be ready?”

The email continued with options for accommodations for future residents. The first option: the resident provides their own accommodations until move-in, and in turn, the resident will receive a $200 gift card per day until move-in and a rent abatement until move-in, as well. The second option: the property will provide accommodations to the resident until move-in, and these residents will receive a $50 gift card every day until move-in, but rent is still required per the installment schedule according to their lease.

“Option two, which is the one I chose, was that Rise will provide the accommodations for us, which accommodations are like Marriott or … hotels like Moxy, AC or maybe a hotel downtown,” an anonymous student said. “And if we are placed downtown, then they are going to be teamed up with Fetii so we get two free Fetii rides a day.”

Rise at West Campus management did not respond to multiple requests for comment.