UT named best college in Texas for veterans

Ana Campos

UT was named the best college in Texas for veterans and the 18th best college in the country for veterans, according to U.S. News & World Report.

The University was also named the best college in Texas for veterans in 2021. The Office of Veteran and Military Affiliated Services oversees all matters associated with students in the military, planning to go to the military or veterans and their resources.

“I transitioned out of the military and didn’t have anyone to help me, and really the whole reason I got into this … I think that’s what sets it apart,” said veteran services director Jeremiah Gunderson. “I think everyone that works in our office, other than our student work studies, are all veterans, all retired military in one way or another.”

Gunderson said the office began as Students Veterans Services and recently transitioned to its new title. He said the change was made to be more inclusive to the whole military community, such as the National Guard, Reserves, active duty military and dependents of veterans. The office supports the children and spouses of veterans and works indirectly with the ROTC program. The office is also a part of the orientation program, so all veteran or military students who come to campus receive access to the office from day one.

“Assisting all those various groups with the benefits available to them, educational benefits,” Gunderson said. “We have scholarships specific to those communities. From outside donors, I think we’re somewhere in the neighborhood of about $320,000 in scholarships last year to roughly about 500 students. So we’re working on expanding those to additional support for veterans as well. And then some other financial assistance, academic support, professional development, but really just the wholistic transition.”

In addition to financial assistance, the office hosts many events throughout the year and sponsors a student organization specific to veterans and the military called the Student Veterans Association. Gunderson said they are also heavily involved in the athletics program to provide opportunities for veterans and the military to be honored in various sports.

Gunderson said that although the office provides many great services and resources for military and veteran students, the school itself is a large factor in what makes it so attractive.

Basil Fedun, a Russian studies graduate student, said he was primarily drawn to UT because of the faculty.

“University of Texas, it’s Austin. It’s a great city with lots of stuff to do, lots of diversity, amazing cuisine,” Fedun said. “But more specifically because the school has a great faculty, especially the Russian studies department. I’m a psychological operations officer, which means we do a lot with counter-disinformation. (UT) has a disinformation lab specific to the Russian State Department. And so yeah, that was definitely one of the leading factors to me choosing this program.”