Rambler delays move-in to days after first day of class

Mackenzie Coleman
The Rambler on the intersection of 26th and Nueces on Aug. 21, 2023. U-Hual workers unpack lobby furniture.

At 11 p.m. on Aug. 17 — four days before the first day of classes on Aug. 21 — Rambler sent an email informing future residents that their move-in was delayed. It stated that residents would move in no later than Aug. 26.

Last September, as special education sophomore Lizzie Slocum chose housing for this school year, she noticed apartment complex Rambler’s wording: “Scheduled to deliver” by fall semester 2023. She said she signed their lease with a slight worry the building would not be finished on time, Slocum said. 

“We have class and we’re not even moved in,” Slocum said. “Navigating getting to class being off campus … I’m really grateful to be living with some of my best friends. We’ve been doing a carpool system.”

Residents were forced to find accommodations for most of the first week. Slocum said some of her friends canceled plane tickets or switched between various houses and hotels. Rambler provided a list of approximately 700 hotel rooms around campus at a discounted price for some places. The apartment also offered residents a $200 digital gift card for each day of the delay and a $500 travel moving or storage costs reimbursement. Residents will not be charged for rent through the week of the delay. 

The building failed the city’s fire-life-safety inspection on Aug. 17, prohibiting residents from moving in. A Rambler spokesperson, who wished to remain anonymous, said the construction crew worked day and night through the weekend and passed the inspection on multiple floors and the garage on Aug. 21. City officials will continue administering floor-by-floor inspections and approvals throughout the week. 

Rambler will begin scheduling move-in dates, planning to have all residents move in by Aug. 26. 

“We appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding and are excited to welcome residents to their new home at Rambler,” the Rambler spokesperson said. 

In the meantime, Slocum said she’s living out of a suitcase and carrying half of her boxes in her car. She said she still considers herself lucky to have a home to live in. 

Editor’s note: On Aug. 23, this article was updated to reflect the newest information about Rambler’s move-in. Additionally, the article previously stated Rambler provided residents with a list of “700 hotels” which was corrected to “700 hotel rooms.” It also stated that Rambler passed city inspection on Aug. 21, however, only some floors and the garage passed inspection on that date. The Texan regrets these errors.