The Daily Texan’s guide to decor for any Wampus apartment

Emma George

It takes a good amount of time and perspective-shifting for many UT students to embrace living in West Campus. Windowless bedrooms and mass-produced furniture fall short of providing the rejuvenating refuge students yearn for after a long day of school. As students move in for the new school year, The Daily Texan compiled a list of affordable apartment decor items to personalize the spaces that serve as the backdrop for student life. 

IKEA SOMMARLÅNKE LED floor lamp

Who doesn’t love a good floor lamp? Stick IKEA’s understated, midcentury-inspired SOMMARLÅNKE between the couch and the corner, and imbue the living room with a halo of soft, cozy light. Designed as an outdoor lamp, the SOMMARLÅNKE’s robust build can handle even the rowdiest of apartment get-togethers.

Amazon transparent acrylic folding chairs

Say goodbye to guests sitting on the floor with a stylish set of folding chairs. These timeless seats prove not only perfect for making any space more welcoming, but practical with their space-saving stackability. 

IKEA FEJKA fake plant

Numerous studies find that, even without the added benefit of oxygen, fake plants improve home dwellers’ moods, morale and productivity. Perfect for the busy college student, IKEA’s FEJKA breathes visual life into any room. Fit it in the living room corner to soften straight walls with shape and texture, or in the bedroom to compensate for building-facing windows. 

Target patterned woven throw blanket

While not the most practical piece during the summer, this throw will prove its utility as the year progresses. Keep it in the living room to add a pop of color and sense of home, and for later when out-of-town guests need to crash on the couch. 

Art prints

Few items prove better than art prints to cover blank bedroom and living room walls. From Facebook Marketplace to Society6, students can find millions of different prints and posters that don’t break the bank. Take the print, a Command Strip, and a blank wall to turn a homogeneous student housing unit into a space that exudes personality.