Unranked LSU defeats Texas, breaks home win streak

Kevin Kim

Texas soccer suffered its first loss of the season to the unranked LSU Tigers. The Longhorns fell in a 3-1 battle at Mike A. Myers Stadium Thursday, causing their first loss at home since last season. 

The Longhorns came in ranked No. 9 nationally, according to a United Soccer Coaches poll taken on Aug. 21. Additionally, the Longhorns came off a three-game winning streak, beating opponents Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Long Beach State and Rice on Sunday. 

The first half was highly competitive and fast-paced, with the Longhorns having eight shots on goal and four corners. Early on in the half, the Longhorns were able to create numerous opportunities down the middle with junior forward Trinity Byars having a shot hitting the crossbar 23 minutes into the game, and a number of shifty chances started by junior midfielder Lexi Missimo.

The Texas defense looked solid and was able to hold off the aggressive LSU midfield, led by graduate student Taylor Dobles. There were a number of close saves by Texas’s defense with senior defenders Lauren Lampardo and transfer senior Abby Allen having to make several sliding saves early on in the match. After what felt like an eternity of attacks from both teams, the first goal was scored by the Tigers 28 minutes into the first half. 

LSU’s freshman midfielder Ava Galligan was able to eventually break through the steady Texas defense and feed a ball to Dobles for her first goal of the match. Dobles later scored in the 44th minute, with the third goal coming from a penalty kick scored by sophomore midfielder Ida Hermannsdottir. 

The action-packed first half did not stop with LSU leading over the nationally ranked Longhorns, but a much-needed goal scored off a corner by freshman defender Carly Montgomery was called back by officials with 12 minutes left in the half. 

“In my perspective, she jumped straight up and scored a goal,” head coach Angela Kelly said. “But the officials made a different choice.” 

After trailing in the first half the Longhorns came back with high energy and strong on the attack. The first shot from distance came from freshman forward Avery Clark in the first minute of the second half.  

Finally breaking through the Tiger defense, outstanding junior forward Trinity Byars was able to maneuver towards the goal assisting freshman Avery Clark’s first goal of the season 10 minutes into the second half. 

But, the Longhorns’ relentless effort and high intensity were not enough to overcome the LSU Tigers, and ended up losing 3-1. 

“It was hard to battle through, we have to create more opportunities and put more balls in the back of the net,” Kelly said. “It’s not a result that we’re ever gonna get used to. Every game is an experience to learn, and we’re gonna learn off this.”