Austin’s most iconic musicians

Ana Campos

As the live music capital of the world, Austin commands a reputation unlike any other city. From tunnel raves to live music venues, Austin’s love for music cultivates artists who blend the city’s  inspiration into their artistry for the world to hear. For those looking to explore the city’s music, The Daily Texan compiled a list of Austin’s most iconic musicians. 

Willie Nelson

The pot-smoking, free-spirited country singer Willie Nelson quickly became Austin’s unofficial mascot. A young prodigy who joined his first band at the age of 10, Nelson still makes and performs music today at 90 years old, famously performing at concerts supporting Beto O’Rourke. Nelson’s unique, laid-back sound fused with hints of blues, jazz and folk set him apart as he became one of the most influential artists in country music. Albums like “Shotgun Willie” and “Red Headed Stranger” shot the country icon into fame, amassing multiple Grammy and Country Music Association Awards throughout his 60-plus-year solo career. 

Janis Joplin

Former UT student and rock n’ roll royalty, Janis Joplin rose to fame with her free-loving rebellious attitude, her highly renowned raspy mezzo-soprano vocals and eccentric stage presence. Originally collaborating with the band Big Brother & the Holding Company, Joplin jump started her solo career with electric songs like “Cry Baby” and “Maybe,” which led her to perform at the legendary Woodstock festival in 1969. Sadly, Joplin struggled with alcoholism and drug abuse, passing away at 27 years old. Her influence and life live on through her music.

Daniel Johnston

Daniel Johnston, one of Austin’s most beloved treasures, made painfully honest music with his emotive lyrics and signature lo-fi sound. Starting his career handing out free homemade cassette tapes in the ‘80s, Johnston grew a large following after Kurt Cobain wore a T-shirt featuring Johnston’s revered album, “Hi, How Are You?” On the corner of West 21st Street and Guadalupe stands a mural of the iconic album cover as a lone standing wall in tribute to Johnston, who passed away in 2019. Inspired by his experiences with manic depression, Johnston’s creative spirit and guttural songwriting continue to speak to audiences today. His memory lives on through Austin’s music community and listeners around the world. 

Stevie Ray Vaughan

As a leading figure in the blues revival and one of the greatest guitarists of all time, Stevie Ray Vaughan’s short career originated in the heart of Austin. After dropping out of high school and moving to Austin from Dallas, Vaughan played in various small performances with his band, Double Trouble. Their performance at the 1982 Montreux Jazz Festival jumpstarted Vaughan’s career when David Bowie invited him to record a guitar part for his “Let’s Dance” album. Gaining notoriety from Bowie’s album, Vaughan released the critically acclaimed “Texas Flood” album and became a premiere figure in the blues revival of the ‘80s until his untimely death in a helicopter accident in 1990. Stevie Ray Vaughan represented the soul of Austin, and his legacy survives in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.