Previewing Texas women’s basketball players to watch

Assad Malik
Rori Harmon attempts to score against Texas Tech on Feb 8. 2022. Texas defeated Texas Tech 80 – 71.

Texas women’s basketball’s 2023 season kicks off at Moody Center on Nov. 8 against Southern University. Here are some of the top names to be on the lookout for as the reigning Big 12 regular season champions return to the court. 

Rori Harmon (Guard)

Harmon will return for her third year at Texas in hopes of following her remarkable freshman and sophomore campaigns. The guard was named Big 12 Freshman of the Year in 2021, Defensive Player of the Year in 2022, and the All-Big 12 First Team in 2022. Harmon made Texas history last season by recording a triple-double with 17 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds against TCU, being only the fourth player to achieve this. Harmon was unanimously voted part of the All-Big 12 team in May 2022. 

Gisella Maul (Guard)

Back-to-back state champion of Cedar Park High School, Gisella Maul is joining the Longhorns for her freshman season. After leading her team to their first championship, Maul was named 5A State Championship Game MVP, earned the 2021-22 Texas Gatorade Player of the Year award, and was named the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches Player of the Year. 

Madison Booker (Forward)

Booker is no stranger to gold. She’s a two-time World Cup gold medalist with USA basketball, winning with the team in the 2022 U17 and the 2023 U19 FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup. One of four freshmen joining the Longhorns in 2023, she was ranked No. 12 in the 2023 class by ESPN and was a three-time All-State honoree with Germantown High School in Mississippi. 

Shay Holle (Guard)

Shay Holle is returning for her senior year after an All-Big 12 First Team junior season. Holle comes from a family of athletes. Her dad played for Texas football from 1980-1983 and later the Kansas City Chiefs, her mom played softball at Angelo State, and her two sisters played basketball for Texas State. The Austin product played all 36 games in the 2022-23 season and averaged 5.9 points per game, scoring in double figures in eight games.

Aaliyah Moore (Forward)

Moore’s sophomore season might have come to an abrupt end after suffering an anterior cruciate ligament injury in December, but for the past year, she has worked to return to the court and play a full season. Moore was voted Preseason Big 12 Women’s Basketball Freshman of the Year in 2021 after a dominant presence in the Longhorns’ postseason campaign to a Big 12 Championship Title and return to the NCAA Elite Eight in 2022 with 12 points and five rebounds in the championship match against Baylor.