Texas vs. Alabama Opponents to Watch

Assad Malik

Jalen Milroe, Quarterback

Alabama’s biggest question going into 2023 was its quarterback, and it wasn’t until last Friday that Jalen Milroe was officially made the starter over the likes of Ty Simpson and Notre Dame transfer Tyler Buchner. The redshirt sophomore will have big shoes to fill in replacing Heisman winner and top pick Bryce Young but aced his first test in Saturday’s 56-7 victory against Middle Tennessee. Milroe tossed for 194 yards and three touchdowns on just 18 attempts, adding a pair of touchdowns on the ground with 48 rushing yards. More notably, Milroe did not commit any turnovers, a concern of some after he turned it over three times in his pinch start against Texas A&M last season. While it’s early in the season, Milroe looks like one of the best quarterbacks on Texas’ schedule, and his ability to get it done through the air and with his legs presents the Longhorn defense with a unique challenge.

Kool-Aid McKinstry, Cornerback

Junior wide receiver Xavier Worthy, who looked like Quinn Ewers’ clear top target against Rice, figures to have a much tougher assignment this weekend as he will presumably draw coverage from Alabama’s Kool-Aid McKinstry. The junior cornerback has all the makings of a 2024 first-round pick, starting in a national championship as a true freshman, dominating as a sophomore and picking up where he left off this season, allowing just one catch for four yards versus Middle Tennessee per Pro Football Focus. At 6 feet, 1 inch, he’s a physical man-coverage corner that should give the slender frame of Xavier Worthy a real test. McKinstry also operates as the Crimson Tide’s punt returner, ranking fourth in the nation in 2022 in yards per punt return at 15.8. Look for McKinstry and Worthy to have a battle on Saturday.

Jase McClellan, Running Back

Next up in the line of dominant Alabama running backs looks to be senior Jase McClellan, a Texas native who in 2023 is stepping into the lead back role for the Crimson Tide. McClellan racked up 829 yards and 10 touchdowns from scrimmage last season, and torched Texas last year for 97 yards on just six carries, the majority of which came on an 81-yard touchdown scamper. While he might not have the top-end speed of former teammate Jahmyr Gibbs, he’s a capable pass-catcher, with patience and the ability to make his defender miss in the open field. Listed at 212 pounds, he’s a hard runner who fights for extra yards, and Alabama’s offense will look to him to get going early. McClellan has bounced back admirably from an ACL tear in 2021 and started his 2023 campaign off with a touchdown. Texas’ front seven had their way against Rice’s run game, allowing just 27 total yards, but McClellan will offer a tougher task.

Deontae Lawson, Linebacker

A highly-touted recruit out of Mobile, Alabama, redshirt sophomore Deontae Lawson dazzled in a new role against Middle Tennessee. Alabama head coach Nick Saban announced prior to Saturday’s action that Lawson, who grew into his role as a weakside linebacker in 2022, would be calling plays as the team’s primary middle linebacker in 2023, and he did not disappoint. A physical threat, Lawson led the team in tackles with seven, adding two tackles for loss and a sack. He displayed a blend of coverage instincts along with an ability to diagnose the run and pressure the quarterback. After a so-so performance against Rice’s defensive front, the Longhorns’ offensive line will need to get right in a hurry to handle Lawson’s impact.