Final season of ‘How To with John Wilson’ proves utterly comical yet deeply unsettling

Courtesy of Warner Brothers

Content Warning: This review includes mentions of self-harm 

From comparing relationships to restrooms and tracking a package to facing the reality of death, the third and final season of “How To with John Wilson” invokes a variety of deep emotions. Wilson’s take on everyday tutorial videos spirals down a rabbit hole through the bizarre people he interviews. Along the way, moments filled with discomfort, laughter and emotion make viewers unsure whether to cry, laugh or turn off the TV.

Like previous installments, season three overflows with humorous candid footage of New York City residents. The bustling hub provides Wilson with excellent opportunities to bring his seemingly nonsensical narration full circle. One scene shows someone washing their feet in a public water fountain when talking about personal hygiene, and another pans in on several individuals incessantly fidgeting.

Wilson’s spontaneous interviews make up the show’s central charm, and the final season makes for no exception. By the end of the season, viewers will lose count of Wilson’s fascinatingly eccentric interviewees. Subjects include a man who plans to move his family into a missile silo, bodybuilders at a 9/11 memorial-themed competition and a small army of vintage vacuum collectors.

“How To” undeniably took countless hours to shoot, write, edit and produce. The show sometimes gains too much momentum, making select episodes feel rushed. Wilson might quickly leave his original quest behind to explore problems in his personal life but without a smooth transition. In previous seasons, Wilson does a better job at making the viewer forget he’s strayed so far off track. In season three, the show’s ridiculousness feels too pushy and turns audiences off. A prime example would be episode three, when “How to Work Out” swiftly turns into an exploration of his show’s success.  

Season three takes Wilson’s willingness to get weird to a new level, most notably when Wilson meets an old man who is signed up for cryonics. Through a deeply personal line of questioning, Wilson learns his motives come from never having a family due to self-castration. This deeply disturbing detail completely changes the episode’s mood, but proves fitting for the series finale of a show that keeps viewers uncomfortable yet entertained.

Despite the final season’s unsettling nature, there’s also a warmhearted and tear-jerking component. Wilson somehow finds a way to relate “How to Watch the Game” to a vintage vacuum conference and the passing of his grandmother. Stories from his interviewees will leave audiences teary-eyed at the very least.

By the season’s end, viewers feel an abundance of emotions from the scenes and stories of everyday life. Wilson’s accumulation of meticulous planning pays off with the conclusion of a modern masterpiece and perhaps a new genre of reality TV.

4 vintage vacuums out of 5