All-American Susan Shurr will be inducted into the 2023 Hall of Honor

A former women’s track and field star, Susan Shurr will join 10 other former successful Longhorn athletes into the Texas Athletics Hall of Honor on Friday. 

Shurr’s Texas career started off strong in 1982 with helping the Longhorns obtain the Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW) Outdoor National Championship, the program’s first. Shurr placed second in the 100-meter dash with 11.83 seconds, fourth in the 200 meter dash with 23.79 seconds and was part of the fourth place 4×100-meter relay team. The team also placed fifth in the AIAW Indoor National championships the same year.

The 11-time All-American was also an integral part of the program when the team transitioned to the NCAA, finishing seventh place in its first NCAA Outdoor Championship.

She was a part of the winning sprint medley relay, as well the 4x100m relay. In 1984, Shurr was part of the fourth place 4×100-meter relay with a time of 44.62 seconds in the 1984 NCAA Championships.

In her senior season, her team finished second in the Indoor Championships and Shurr finished third in the 400-meter dash, helping the women’s 4×400-meter relay place sixth overall.

Shurr was able to finish out her impressive career at home when Texas hosted the NCAA Outdoor Championships. She ran the second leg 4×100-meter relay, in which Texas won second and held two fourth place wins in both the 400-meter and the 4×400-meter relay.

Shurr also holds six Southwest Conference relay titles both indoor and outdoor with a 4×100 in 1983, 4×400 meter in indoor and outdoor in 1984 and a sweep in the 4×400 and 4×100 outdoor in 1985. Shurr also still holds the fifth fastest 60-yard-dash in program history with 6.89 seconds, as well as fifth fastest distance medley relay team from 1985 with 11:15.50.

After college, Shurr worked as a producer for KUSI news in San Diego and still currently resides in California.

The Hall of Honor inductees will be inducted during a ceremony Friday at 7 p.m. in the LBJ Auditorium and Conference Center with general admission tickets for sale. The new inductees will also be recognized during the Texas vs. Wyoming football game on Saturday.