Former UT professor, vice dean becomes first female executive director of The American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology

Courtesy of The University of Texas at Austin

Dr. Amy Young, former vice dean of professional practice at Dell Medical School, started Wednesday as the executive director of The American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology — a position previously held only by men since its foundation in 1927. 

“Leading an organization as a woman whose mission ultimately leads to safe care for women is powerful,” Young said in an email. “I take that responsibility seriously.”

The ABOG is a non-profit organization working primarily to certify obstetricians and gynecologists, though it also offers certification in certain subspecialties, including complex family planning, gynecologic oncology and maternal-fetal medicine.  

“As executive director of ABOG, I hope to lead our team in partnering with the board to both preserve the great work and legacy before us but to also use the resources of the board to innovate for a bold future,” Young said. 

After working for the University for almost nine years, Young said one of her most rewarding roles was as a professor of women’s health. 

“It is good for women and men to see diversity in leadership,” Young said. “Having a woman in this role demonstrates diversity in leadership, and we are learning that to be inclusive and have multiple perspectives will result in the best strategies and teams to build a bold future for women’s health more broadly.”

Priya Bisht, president of UT’s Women in Medicine organization and biology junior, said she hopes Young’s appointment to executive director will open the door for other women in the medical field to hold similar positions of power.

“It makes our dreams seem more possible because it gives us someone to look up to,” Bisht said. 

According to a May 2023 study, only 38% of active physicians in the United States are women. This is, in part, caused by a lack of representation of women in medicine, according to Bisht.

“It can be really discouraging when you repeatedly don’t see yourself represented in the workplace that you desire,” Bisht said. “It’s a really big step in the right direction when we see other women in high positions of power.”

In addition to her time as vice dean, Young also worked as the chief clinical officer for UT Health Austin and held the inaugural chair of women’s health at Dell Medical School. Young said she plans to continue to work clinically at UT on a limited basis.

“I am excited to use all my learnings from the varied roles that I have had in the past and learn from the current team to craft and execute a vision that will create measurable improvements in women’s health care,” Young said.