Treat Yourself: Top 5 desserts within walking distance

Emma Berke

As coursework starts to pick up, many students gradually overlook the simple pleasures in life. The Daily Texan compiled a list of some of the most convenient places to grab dessert because a part of those pleasures includes a once-in-a-while treat.

Bananarchy

2420 Guadalupe St.

A frozen banana dipped in chocolate, drizzled in creme and topped off with sprinkles — a perfect combination to satisfy a sweet tooth. Bananarchy, founded by a UT alumnus, contains a variety of flavors and combinations guaranteed to please any desire. Located in Space 24 Twenty, with weekly specials and vegan options, Bananarchy leaves people with a continuous desire.

Insomnia Cookies

2323 San Antonio St.

Known for its warm cookies and savory ice cream, Insomnia Cookies proves to be the best late-night treat. From Chocolate Chunk to a Vegan Birthday Cake cookie, each bite melts into one’s mouth. When paired with one of their various ice cream flavors, Insomnia Cookies produces dessert on an entirely new level. A student dessert staple, the taste of their treat validates why they offer over 200 nationwide locations on university campuses.

East Koast Ices

2538 Guadalupe St.

The temperature rise can’t compete with this Italian ice establishment. With various creamy and sweet flavors, each taste guarantees a visit to Cloud 9. The food truck tucked in a corner, although hard to spot, proves even harder to leave. East Koast Ices also delivers a Flavor of the Month, currently peach, and switches them based on popularity. When in need of a break from the heat, stop by for an authentic summer treat.

TCBY (The Country’s Best Yogurt)

303 W Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.

From soft-serve frozen yogurt to cakes and pies, TCBY provides it all. The satisfyingly sweet frozen yogurt comes in over 20 flavors, each outdoing the next. Open for more than 20 years, the name speaks for itself. With friendly faces to greet customers at the door and frozen yogurt that ranges from watermelon sorbet to chewy brownie, TCBY ranks tough to top.

JP’S Pancake Company

2513 Rio Grande St.

Top-tier service and a delectably unique treat wrapped into one, JP’S Pancake Company puts a twist on breakfast and even carries a flavorsome treat called “Bevo Bourbon Biscoff.” A warm caramel chipped pancake topped off with homemade bourbon cookie butter glaze, bacon and a chocolate syrup drizzle turns into an explosion of flavor at first bite. Anyone looking for a dessert to satiate their cravings should head straight down for these pancakes.