Five meal prep lunches for Monday through Friday

Alexa Zimmermann

College students must balance taking and studying for multiple classes, participating in several organizations, working a part-time job or internship and socializing. With all these commitments, finding the time to cook meals can be challenging, but meal prepping can help. The Daily Texan compiled a list of five quick and affordable meal prep lunch ideas that last in the fridge for 4-5 days in an airtight container. Vegan and vegetarian alternatives are included in each recipe.  

Tuna salad sandwich

Averaging $1.50 per can, canned tuna serves as a great affordable source of protein. While any tuna works, try to use white tuna in water for the best results. Combine with sweet pickle relish, celery, mayo and spices for an easy-to-make and flavorful meal. For a vegetarian and vegan alternative, replace tuna with mashed canned chickpeas, and regular mayo with vegan mayo. 

Pizza roll-up lunch box 

This lunchbox works perfectly for eating between classes because it requires no cooking or reheating. Spread basil pesto over the surface of a tortilla, place provolone cheese and pepperoni slices on top, and garnish with spinach. Roll each tortilla as tightly as possible, and slice green peppers for a spicy snack on the side. For a vegan and vegetarian alternative, just use plant-based pepperoni.

Egg salad lettuce wraps 

This egg salad lettuce wrap packs in plenty of protein and only takes 10 minutes to make. For the filling, whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper and chopped hard-boiled eggs. Add celery and onion for an extra crunch. Finish by placing the completed egg salad on the lettuce wraps. For a vegan alternative, substitute chopped eggs for crumbled tofu and mayonnaise with vegan mayo. 

5-ingredient pesto pasta salad 

Requiring minimal ingredients, this 5-ingredient pesto pasta salad checks all the boxes: freshness, creaminess and only takes a few steps to make. First, cook the pasta in salted and boiled water according to the package instructions. Then drain the pasta and toss with the red peppers, basil pesto, mozzarella cheese (or vegan mozzarella) and arugula until well combined.

Spicy udon stir fry

This spicy udon stir fry acts as an easily customizable base recipe that one can elevate by adding any desired protein. To start, slice onions and green onions, chop carrots and mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Then, in a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat and saute the vegetables. While the vegetables cook, add drained noodles to the pan and stir. Lastly, pour the sauce over the stir fry and garnish with sesame seeds and any remaining sliced green onions.