Gameday fits: tips, tricks for staying cool, fashionable

Breyona Mitchell

Fresh off three consecutive wins (including two successful home games), UT’s football season continues to prove fun to see in action. But as temperatures continue to rise during a hot and humid fall season, it can be difficult to stay comfortable past halftime. Here are some tips and tricks on how to keep cool and stylish while showing off some Longhorn pride. Hook ‘em!

Wear White/Light Colors

Not only do lighter colors beat the heat, wearing white makes for a great way to show school spirit. Don a comfortable white dress, polo shirt or whitewashed pair of denim for a classic gameday look. Look for these pieces at local thrift stores like Buffalo Exchange, Flamingos Vintage Pound and Texas Thrift.

Use Lots of Face Paint

Another gameday tradition (perfected by the Longhorn Hellraisers) requires a mirror, finger paint and a little creativity. Adding a strip of orange or white under the eyes can reduce the glare of the sun and help reduce squinting. Take a quick trip to Target or CVS on Guadalupe Street for these materials.

Customize Cowboy Boots

Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium holds 100,119 fans — which suggests the possibility of 200,238 cowboy boots. A near necessity for students, customizing cowboy boots makes for a fun gameday activity. Tie ribbons, bells and keychains to boot pulls for a unique and creative twist. Stop by Austin Creative Reuse for ribbons and knick knacks, while quality boots can be found at Cavender’s, Allens and Tecovas.

Find Cool Accessories

Stylish doesn’t have to mean sweaty. Portable neck fans double as a practical and fashionable statement necklace. Pick an orange or white design for a little extra school spirit and stay cool into the third quarter. Find them on Amazon here.

Carry Clear (but Stylish) Bags

While DKR Stadium may require clear bags for games, there’s no rules against slaying the tote game. A unique purse or backpack can hold towels, water and plenty of Pluckers coupons. Check out the University Co-op’s selection of gameday bags here