Emerald Fennell’s ‘Saltburn’ is obsessive, addicting, joyfully sickening

This review contains spoilers.

“Saltburn,” the first of four Fantastic Fest secret screenings premiered Saturday, Sept. 23. Written and directed by Emerald Fennell (“Promising Young Woman”), the film follows Oliver (Barry Keoghan) at Oxford as he quickly becomes infatuated with his friend and classmate Felix (Jacob Elordi). Following the death of Oliver’s father, Felix invites him to spend the summer at his affluent home in Saltburn.

From the opening shot, Fennell displays masterful film craftsmanship. A dazzling choir opens the film and set’s audience’s expectations for a lush and grandiose story filled to the brim with lust and obsession. Fennell litters hilarious juxtapositions throughout the film, such as a wealthy family in an opulent room sitting under crystal a chandelier watching “Superbad” or one scene where a dinner party guest in black-tie sings karaoke to Flo Rida’s “Low.” Dry and genuine line deliveries from Rosamund Pike playing Felix’s mother also help elevate the film’s comedic tone.

Coming fresh off of his Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination for “The Banshees of Inisherin”  earlier this year, Keoghan once again displays his excellent acting chops. In a role that demands both disciplined subtlety and gasping emotion, he clearly does not struggle to deliver. Keoghan even holds the ability to sell purposefully ridiculous lines with fervor and hypnotizing intensity that will have audiences either gaping in shock or laughing uncomfortably (in a good way).

In fact, the full supporting cast proves particularly apt in their craft. Alison Oliver as Felix’s sister Venetia proves especially impressive, tackling a role that introduces her as a seemingly carefree party girl but ends with her as a grief-stricken wreck in more ways than one. A true 180 of a performance, while still relatively early in her career, lives on par with seasoned professionals like Rosamund Pike and Richard E. Grant. 

The film’s twist doesn’t necessarily come as a surprise, but it does make an effort to get even twistier as the film settles to a close. Audiences eventually learn of Oliver’s true nature yet can’t help but root for his success. Despite the character’s freakish tendencies and occasional sickening consumption habits, Keoghan embellishes Oliver with a magnetizing charm that will keep audiences forgiving him until the credits roll.

While not a totally original film concept, “Saltburn” positively oozes unique creativity and intentionality in all aspects of filmmaking. Despite its uncomfortableness, it breathes symbolism and callbacks that certainly warrant repeated viewings in order to obtain the film’s full effect. On top of all that, “Saltburn” makes for an immense amount of fun that will get audiences right back in the box office line for a second ticket.

4 ½ winding hedge mazes out of 5