Texas men’s basketball Big 12 schedule revealed

Joy Li
Mens basketball coach Rodney Terry on March 27, 2023.

On Tuesday, the Big 12 announced its schedule for the 2023-24 men’s basketball season. Texas will play 18 games in its final season as a member of the league and open conference play at home against Texas Tech on Jan. 6.

The Big 12, once again, looks to be one of the top leagues in college basketball, with five schools listed in the top 15 of the AP preseason Top 25. Texas comes in at No. 5, just behind No. 4 Kansas, with Baylor at No. 11.

The Longhorns’ first road trip of conference play starts on Jan. 9 when they’ll play Cincinnati before heading to West Virginia. The reigning Big 12 Champions will then host UCF at home. 

Texas’ first Big 12 matchup that jumps off the page is at home versus Baylor on Jan. 20 for a nationally-televised game in what could potentially be a top five matchup. The Longhorns will also get their first crack at Big 12 Houston at home on Jan. 29.

The Big 12 newcomers will offer a challenge to Texas’ retooled roster. Despite losing guard Marcus Sasser to the draft, Houston restocked, landing guards LJ Cryer and Damian Dunn from the transfer portal. Head coach Kelvin Sampson’s offense should give Texas’ backcourt pairing of Max Abmas and Tyrese Hunter a true test defensively and a look at a potential March Madness opponent. 

Though Kansas lost its wings Gradey Dick and Jalen Wilson to the draft, its returning trio of DaJuan Harris, K.J. Adams Jr. and Kevin McCullar will only benefit from the addition of Michigan transfer Hunter Dickinson. The senior has been highly productive up to this point in his career, averaging over 17 points and eight rebounds over the past three seasons which should give Kansas a physical edge. Texas will only face the Jayhawks once during the season in what should be a pivotal matchup for tournament seeding.

Texas will face West Virginia, Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Houston both at home and away, playing the other eight schools just once.

Texas’ schedule appears backloaded, with road contests against Houston, Kansas and Baylor in the final weeks leading up to tournament play. The Longhorns will conclude their regular season at home against Oklahoma on March 9, with the Big 12 Men’s Basketball Championship set to begin March 12 in Kansas City.

Texas men’s basketball’s first game of the season is on Nov. 6 when it hosts Incarnate Word, which is two months before their first Big 12 matchup.