Outstanding Young Texas Exes Awards brings famous alumni back to the Forty Acres

Naina Srivastava
The 2023 Outstanding Young Texas Exes Award recipients answer questions at the ceremony on Sept. 29, 2023. The recipients were Amy Faith Ho, Glen Powell, Melvin Ike and Kovid Gupta.

Texas Exes, the University’s official alumni organization, honored four award recipients on Sept. 29 at their annual ceremony for the Outstanding Young Texas Exes Awards

The Outstanding Young Texas Exes Award recognizes four alumni under the age of 39 for significant achievements in their careers and service to the University, including 2023 recipients film star Glen Powell, Bollywood producer Kovid Gupta, emergency physician Amy Faith Ho and investor C.C. Melvin Ike. 

The University honored the four recipients at the Etter-Harbin Alumni Center at an event free for all UT alumni, students, staff and faculty to attend. After the ceremony, the honorees  participated in a panel led by Texas Exes President Gay Gaddis. 

Powell, who gave the keynote address last spring at the Moody College of Communication class of 2023 commencement ceremony, talked about the meaning of being a UT student during his acceptance speech for the award. 

“The thing about the University of Texas is that only the people that go to UT really understand what it means to be a part of this community and be a part of this place,” Powell said at the event.  “Anyone that has ever met me has never been confused about where I went to college. … Texans are proud to be from Texas and are proud to especially be Longhorns.” 

During the panel, the honorees shared their University experience and career highlights to the crowd of at least 75 attendees. Gupta shared a piece of advice given to him that helped shape his current work ethic in the film industry.

“I was working with a filmmaker and somebody I looked up to, and he once told me, ‘work until you no longer have to introduce yourself,’” Gupta said at the event. “That’s something I continue to strive for every single day.” 

At the beginning of the event, President Jay Hartzell gave a short speech to show his support for the young Texas alumni. 

“One of the great assets of this great place is our alumni base and we take pride and joy in seeing what happens to our Longhorns,” Hartzell said.