UT students find community, connection through Taylor Swift club

Julieta B Cruz

Abby DeYoung always liked Taylor Swift, but became a true fan when her high school friend began playing Swift’s music constantly in her car. Now, DeYoung serves as the president of the Texas Taylor Swift Appreciation Society (TTSAS), an organization dedicated to building a community among Taylor Swift fans.

“(My friend) would play it every time we went anywhere, and I was like, ‘Oh, this is good, this is deep,’” said DeYoung, communication and leadership sophomore. “I started listening to all her music constantly because there really is a song for every single mood you’re in.”

DeYoung said the previous TTSAS president, Keely Hall, started the organization three years ago with a group of friends in search of a Swiftie community on campus. The group hosts events throughout the semester, from listening parties to game nights that revolve around Swift and her music. 

“I find that Taylor Swift is such a bonding moment for anybody,” said DeYoung, who joined the organization her freshman year. “It’s an instant connection, so what’s nice is that everybody in this org (are) people from everywhere that enjoy Taylor Swift.”

Isabella Zamora, TTSAS events coordinator and advertising sophomore, said she appreciates that Swift’s music captures feelings and life events that everyone goes through, helping her get through hard times.

“(Swift) has definitely influenced the way that I have viewed love and friendship dynamics,”  Zamora said. “I recently went through a breakup and all of the songs that I thought I had understood beforehand, I changed my perspective (on) completely after the breakup.”

Zamora said at the first TTSAS event she attended, a Taylor Swift slideshow night, members picked a Swift-related topic or conspiracy theory to present on, which inspired her to get more involved.

“I love Taylor Swift, I love UT, and I love that this is a society that can bring Swifties together,” Zamora said. “I really wanted to be a part of that because I think it’s really special.”

Architecture sophomore Dakota Evans said she most enjoyed the group’s listening party for Swift’s 2022 album “Midnights” last year because hearing everyone’s opinions on the album and discussing the meaning behind different lyrics enhanced her listening experience.

“It’s a fun community to see everybody’s takes on her songs,” DeYoung said. “One song can mean so much to you and then another song can mean so much to somebody else.”

Evans said she joined the organization last year after finding out about it from her friends, hoping the group would provide an opportunity to meet other students.

“It makes it easier to get to know people on campus when you start out knowing this is a group of people who I’ll probably get along with because we both really like Taylor Swift,” Evans said.

DeYoung said she likes how there aren’t any requirements to join the organization, welcoming a diverse array of members just as Swift’s music appeals to a wide range of fans.

“No matter what mood you’re in, no matter your style, there’s going to be at least one song that you are going to enjoy,” DeYoung said. “There really is something for everyone.”