Players to watch from Oklahoma at the Red River Rivalry

Courtesy of Olivia Lauter/OU Daily

Dillon Gabriel, Quarterback 

The big decider of this game likely comes down to the play of senior quarterback Dillon Gabriel. Gabriel spent his first three seasons at now-Big 12 school UCF but has reached new heights at Oklahoma. Though he did not play in last year’s Red River runaway from Texas, Gabriel has been very solid for Oklahoma since joining the team in 2022. Heading into the game, Gabriel leads the Big 12 in yards, touchdowns and completion percentage, and only sits behind junior Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers in the fewest interception column. Gabriel spearheads an Oklahoma offense that has averaged 47.4 points per game, the third most in the nation.

Danny Stutsman, Linebacker

Few defensive players in the Big 12 are as feared as Oklahoma’s junior middle linebacker Danny Stutsman. Stutsman leads the Big 12 in tackles while also recording nine tackles for loss, second in the conference. Oklahoma head coach Brent Venables is known for his ability to develop talent at the linebacker position, and Stutsman is no different. Stutsman leads an Oklahoma defense that features nine new members but ranks top five in the nation, only allowing 10.8 opponent points per game. Stutsman is the only one of the four key players who played in last year’s Red River Rivalry.

Andrel Anthony, Wide Receiver

Junior wide receiver Andrel Anthony spent his first two seasons at Michigan, where he reached the College Football Playoff, before transferring down south to Oklahoma. In just five games, Anthony has already eclipsed his totals in two seasons at Michigan, racking in 22 catches for 387 yards and a touchdown. He currently leads the Sooners in receiving yards. The player from Lansing is one of six Sooners with over 10 catches on the year, leading a group that could cause matchup problems for the Texas cornerbacks. Expect to see Anthony lined up one-on-one for the majority of the game against star senior Texas cornerback Ryan Watts.

Nic Anderson, Wide Receiver

Sophomore wide receiver Nic Anderson will be one of the x-factors for Oklahoma going against Texas. In his freshman season, Anderson had just one touchdown for the Sooners, but now as a sophomore, it’s hard to keep him off the field, even in such a crowded wide receiver room. Anderson is a matchup nightmare, standing at 6-foot-4-inches and able to run vertical routes tremendously. Anderson has a touchdown in each of his last three games, with the Tulsa game being a standout. Anderson caught just three passes but converted 120 yards and three touchdowns alongside it. He has five touchdowns on just 10 catches all season. The receiver may not have as big of a play-by-play impact as Anthony, but expect him to make a big performance at some point in Saturday’s game.