The Texan’s guide to Austin’s French Toast

Celeste Hoover
PB&J french toast from 24 Diner

Imagine a breakfast that’s like a warm hug on the taste buds, a sweet start to the day and a delightful bite of indulgence. In Austin, the French toast scene proves as diverse as the city itself, offering everything from classic renditions to creative twists that will tickle any palate. From locals seeking a new favorite spot to visitors eager to explore Austin’s culinary treasures, The Daily Texan compiled a list of the city’s finest French toast destinations for anyone looking to embark on a delectable journey to breakfast bliss.

Bouldin Creek Cafe – 1900 S 1st St

For those looking for a vegetarian or vegan-friendly option, Bouldin Creek Cafe proves to be a popular choice. Their vegan French toast special, which is served with seasonal fruit and a variety of syrups to choose from, stands as a customer favorite.

Kerbey Lane Cafe – 2606 Guadalupe St

A beloved local chain, Kerbey Lane Cafe offers a variety of delicious breakfast options, including their famous French toast. Choose from classic flavors or seasonal specials to make each visit a delightful and new experience.

Blue Dahlia Bistro – 3663 Bee Caves Rd

This charming European-style bistro offers a delightful French toast made from their freshly baked bread. Often served with a selection of fresh berries, cinnamon butter and maple syrup, this dish makes for a light and flavorful breakfast.

24 Diner – 600 N Lamar Blvd

24 Diner stands as a go-to spot for late-night cravings or early-morning breakfast. Made from thick slices of sourdough bread, their PB&J French toast comes with a variety of toppings, such as fresh berries, strawberry jam and whipped cream.

Café No Sé – 1603 S Congress Ave

Located in the South Congress Hotel, Café No Sé offers a refined twist on breakfast classics. Their French toast features thick slices of brioche, peach compote and sweet cream.

Arturo’s – 314 W 17th St

Nestled behind downtown Guadalupe, this (literally) underground bistro serves a unique French toast, glazed with a sweet caramel drizzle and creamy grilled bananas. Try a pair of their breakfast tacos as a savory side.

1886 Café & Bakery – 604 Brazos St

Founded in 1886, the women of The Heritage Society manage a bakery that is known as “Austin’s socializing parlor.” In a tribute to both The Heritage Society and Austin in itself, this upscale cafe serves Sixth Street’s brunch needs, offering a delectable walnut and cranberry French toast served with a side of seasonal berries and house jam.