Rising hip hop stars from the Lone Star State to look out for

Emma G George

Texas boasts a storied history in the hip hop world, with hip hop legends like DJ Screw, Paul Wall and UGK. Following in their footsteps, modern mainstream artists like Travis Scott and Megan Thee Stallion represent Texas on the worldwide stage. Now, the Lone Star State looks to usher in a new era of the state’s role in the rap world. The Daily Texan created a list of the best up and coming Texas rappers to keep on your radar.

BigXthaPlug

Making moves across the world, Dallas rapper BigXthaPlug stands as a new exciting voice to come from Texas. One of his biggest hits, “Texas,” proves to be a catchy and addictive homage to the state and its history in the rap world, shouting out the titans of Texas hip hop. Recently seen putting his chains on Bevo and performing at the UT Tower before the Red River Showdown, BigXthaPlug shows off his Texan pride and makes for a Texas hip hop all-star to watch.  

That Mexican OT

One of the most undeniably Texan voices burst onto the scene with flair and fire. Born in Bay City, OT’s style takes elements of East Coast and Texas rap and fuses them with his Tejano heritage. With flows as smooth as silk, OT’s deep voice emanates through his beats. His breakout song “Johnny Dang,” honoring the famous Houston jeweler, gained popularity after a video of him performing on a farm holding a chicken went viral. His newest album, Lonestar Luchador, offers hilarious luchador wrestling skits and heavy hitting bangers for those in search of a true Texas spirit.

Teezo Touchdown

Arguably the most mainstream new voice coming out of Texas, the wacky character from Beaumont made serious waves in the hip hop community. Clad in football pads and a hundred metal nails in his hair, Teezo’s oddity offers a breath of fresh air. He describes his sound as “rock and boom,” fusing together elements of R&B, rock and boom bap rap music to create a refreshingly melodic sound. Although Teezo secured features with Tyler, the Creator, Travis Scott and Drake, his debut album How Do You Sleep at Night? only released this September to critical acclaim. The sky’s the limit for the Beaumont weirdo who captivates the hearts and ears of the world. 

TisaKorean
One of hip hop’s silliest personalities grooved his way onto the scene, making heads turn and feet move. Hailing from Missouri City, a suburb of Houston, TisaKorean performed as a DJ and dancer while dance rap gained popularity. Taking inspiration from Soulja Boy, Yung Nation and Beatking, TisaKorean delivers a refreshingly quirky take on dance rap with outlandishly funny lyrics and catchy choruses. The Houston artist gained notoriety on TikTok after clips from his songs inspired dance trends. Expect more hits and dance moves to come from one of Texas’ most entertaining characters in hip hop.