Texas women’s swim and dive freshmen class shows a promising future

Skyler Sharp

With great success comes high expectations, and the new freshman class of Texas women’s swim and dive is filled with promising talent who fell in love with the team during recruiting visits.

This year’s freshman class is composed of seven swimmers and two divers. After the past two incredibly successful seasons of being back-to-back national runner-up, the team was attractive to many recruits, but for many of them, it was their visit that sold them.

Freshman swimmer Angie Coe was the No. 1 ranked swimmer in Illinois and has been swimming since she was four years old. As a four-time finalist at the 2022 YMCA SC National Championships, she said she was ready for the next level of swimming in college.

Texas was Coe’s last visit in her recruitment process. Less than a week later, she made her decision.

“I didn’t have to list the pros and cons,” Coe said. “I just had a feeling.”

Coe said she connected with the team immediately upon her visit and the feeling of belonging has only grown with her time on the Forty Acres.

“I can tell they can be my long-term best friends,” Coe said.

Similarly, freshman swimmer Campbell Stoll says her relationship with her teammates on the team is special.

“We see each other at the lowest points … and then we also see each other at the highest points, when we’re the happiest,” Stoll said. “I feel like we kind of have some sort of connection that a lot of other people don’t really get with their friends.”

Stoll, the No. 2 recruit in the 2023 class from Wisconsin, also brings an impressive amount of talent to the team. With three older sisters who swam in college, Stoll said she always knew she wanted to follow in their footsteps. As a six-time NCSA Spring Champion, she was a highly sought-after recruit. Stoll felt drawn to Texas after meeting the coaches and the team.

“I felt like I wasn’t auditioning,” Stoll said. “I just fell right into the groove of the girls and I feel like that was definitely a big part of what made me choose Texas.”

Freshman diver Caroline Kupka also credits her recruitment trip with her desire to commit to Texas.

“I was really convinced,” Kupka said. “Just like how including everyone was.”

Kupka, a forty-time Norwegian medalist, and fifteen-time Nordic Championships medalist, connected quickly with the athletes on the team.

“The whole team, I’ve pretty much connected with,” Kupka said. “I am friends with all the freshmen…we all get really good along.”

The team’s next meet is Oct. 20 at 4 p.m., where the Texas newcomers will make their second outing of the season against TCU.