Books to read fast before their movie 2023 adaptations premiere

Audrey Braugh

The age-old debate over whether movie adaptations come out better than their source books always proves a controversial but exciting part of the movie-going experience. The Daily Texan compiled a list of books with movie adaptations released through the end of the year to prioritize on reading lists before they hit the big screen so viewers can be readily prepared to engage in these debates.

Priscilla

“Priscilla,” the upcoming biographical drama, follows young Priscilla Presley’s relationship with Elvis Presley over the years through Priscilla’s lens. Based on Presley’s 320-page memoir, “Elvis and Me,” published in 1985, the movie aims to provide a refreshingly feminine storyline following the darker “Elvis” film released in 2022. The movie comes to theaters on Nov. 3. 

Dune: Part Two

Coming March 15, “Dune: Part Two” will follow the second half of Frank Herbert’s 1965 novel. The 896-page sci-fi book follows Paul Atreides as his family takes over a well-sought-after dystopian planet where he encounters issues of religion, power and environmental extremity.

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes

The adaptation of the 2020 Hunger Games trilogy prequel, “The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes,” will premiere Nov. 17. The 528-page story written by Suzanne Collins follows a young President Snow (pre-presidency) as he works to build a legacy that becomes tied to a female tribute he must mentor through the annual Hunger Games. 

Poor Things

“Poor Things,” a Frankenstein-esque coming-of-age story will get its own film adaptation on Dec. 8. In the 332-page novel written by Alasdair Gray in 1992, a newly resurrected girl named Bella unapologetically experiences life for the first time with the spirit of a child in a jaded body. As she experiences more, Bella desperately seeks answers to “simple” questions about life and pleasure that most will find, at times, uncomfortable.

The Color Purple

The new “The Color Purple” movie-musical comes Dec. 25, hopefully bearing the same timeless themes of finding hope and strength through adversity originally showcased in its award-winning novel by the same name. The 304-page 1982 novel by Alice Walker centers around a young woman, Celie, who grapples with various hardships and ideas of abuse, sisterhood, race, sexuality and acceptance. Through it all, she inspiringly pushes forward, making the most of the hand she is dealt. 

The Boys in the Boat

Also set to release Dec. 25, “The Boys in the Boat” movie draws inspiration from the biographical drama of the same name from in 2014, written by Daniel James Brown. In 404 pages, it tells the resilient story behind the University of Washington’s eight-man rowing team of seemingly low-prospect, working-class-background boys who managed to win gold at the 1936 Olympics against all odds.