Best study spots around campus

Alexa Zimmermann

As students settle into midterm season, many find themselves needing new study spaces to keep focused and out of their dorm or apartment. The recent addition of new buildings and renovations to old ones means campus offers some fresh locations to crack open a computer and study. The Daily Texan compiled a list of some of the best study spots across campus. 

The Perry-Castañeda Library – Best at night

The classic, flagship library of UT serves as a staple for students looking to lock in on homework. The PCL is best known for its quiet floors, something students can get almost nowhere else on campus. The PCL proves most effective in the wee hours of the night, when barely any students are nearby. The emptiness makes for a more productive place to study, as there are very few distractions at that time. 

William C. Powers Student Activity Center (Upstairs) – Best on Speedway

Everyone knows the WCP for the Multicultural Engagement Center and perhaps even more famously, Chick-fil-A, but the upstairs sections of the WCP boast some of the best views of campus and a much quieter space for studying. The space better suits students studying alone or with just their computer as this part of the building lacks much desk space. 

Medici Roasting – Best off campus

Perhaps more so than any other spot on campus, Medici Roasting persists as a fantastic place to sit and catch up with a friend. The communal vibe encourages conversation and gathering with others; in addition, its location on Guadalupe Street makes it a fantastic place to study for West Campus residents. 

The Union – Best during lunch

Known mostly for its restaurants, the building also maintains so many individual study spots that ranking them individually would be nearly impossible. Students can choose from any one of the designated culture-specific study rooms, or opt to do their work near restaurants, like Chick-fil-A and Panda Express. As one of the most beautiful buildings on campus, students can get a view of the incredible history of UT just by taking a moment to look at some of the architecture. 

Life Sciences Library –  Best during the week

Opting for a more dark academia aesthetic and boasting some of the University’s most impressive architecture, the Life Sciences Library can be found in the Tower and is available to the public during the week from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Library is the perfect place to work for those looking for an atmosphere ripe for getting one in the mood to study. 

Scholars Lounge – Best collaborative 

The newly opened Scholars Lounge on the second floor of the PCL established itself as the go-to place for studying with friends. Its vibrant color palette mixed with intuitive seating and work spaces make it one of the best places to study with friends. Additionally, its location makes it convenient for students living on campus.