Games to Watch: Week 8

FILE_2012_10_06_Football_vs_WestVirginia_Elisabeth_Dillon1041
Elisabeth Dillon

Following an unfortunate set of circumstances, Anthony Fera found himself in search of a new place to play football. Texas was a logical choice for him to land considering he's from the Houston area. 

No. 8 Texas at Houston

Saturday, Oct. 21, 3:00 p.m. CT, FOX

A week removed from heartbreak in the Red River Rivalry, Texas will emerge from its bye week looking to get its season back on track. The Longhorns will likely need to win if they want a chance at making the College Football Playoff, and the road starts with the Houston Cougars coming to town. 

Sitting at 3–3, the Cougars have not been a force in their first year as members of the Big 12, but they’re far from pushovers. They’re riding the high of one of the wildest wins of the college football season, a tip drill Hail Mary on the last play of the game to beat West Virginia at home.

Led by redshirt junior Donovan Smith at quarterback, who tossed for four touchdowns last week, the Cougars will be hungry and looking to play spoiler. This should be an opportunity for Quinn Ewers and the offense to find the rhythm they struggled to find against Oklahoma.

No. 17 Tennessee at No. 11 Alabama

Saturday, Oct. 21, 2:30 p.m. CT, CBS

Tennessee’s victory over third-ranked Alabama last season in Knoxville marked one of the most memorable games of the season and emblematic of a year in which the Volunteers finally became a team to respect in the SEC. While the wheels started to fall off towards the end, underscored by then-quarterback Hendon Hooker’s ACL tear, it was a year of success for head coach Josh Heupel as Tennessee took a major step forward.

This year, with Hooker gone, the Volunteers have still been a competitive team and will face their biggest test of the season as they head to Tuscaloosa looking to make it two straight wins against the Crimson Tide.

Both teams sport inconsistent quarterback play and fearsome defenses. The last time Nick Saban lost to an opponent twice in a row was in 2014-2015 to Ole Miss. Look for a battle this weekend as the teams fight for second fiddle to Georgia in the SEC.

No. 7 Penn State at No. 3 Ohio State

Saturday, Oct. 21, 11:00 a.m. CT, FOX

Two undefeated teams will square off in Columbus on Saturday in a game that will have implications not just for the Big 10, but for the playoffs, too. After the loss of quarterback CJ Stroud, many fans had questions about the Buckeyes this season, but junior Kyle McCord has looked the part. He has no doubt benefitted from throwing to a pair of potential first-round draft picks in Marvin Harrison Jr. and Emeka Egbuka, but McCord’s play has helped power Ohio State to 6-0.

Penn State head coach James Franklin will enter Columbus with a presentable squad and look to give the Nittany Lions their first win over the Buckeyes since 2016. Penn State has rode on the back of a smothering defense that hasn’t allowed more than 15 points to an opponent this season, and sophomore quarterback Drew Allar’s 15:0 touchdown to interception ratio deserves recognition. Saturday marks his opportunity to rise to the occasion and thrust himself into the Heisman conversation.

No. 14 Utah at No. 18 USC

Saturday, Oct. 21, 7:00 p.m. CT, FOX

Following a humbling blowout at the hands of Notre Dame last weekend, reigning Heisman winner Caleb Williams and the Trojans will look to right the ship in their last season as members of the Pac-12. They’ll have another tough test this weekend, as Utah, who has three straight wins over USC, comes to town.

Caleb Williams had a day to forget against the Fighting Irish, throwing three interceptions in a 48-20 beatdown. A chance to get right against a program that has had USC’s number in recent years, though, would certainly add to his resume. However, the Utes have one of the stingiest defenses in all of college football, giving up more than 14 points just once this season. Both schools will fight to stay in the playoff race on Saturday ahead of respective November showdowns versus Washington, the current Pac-12 frontrunner.