Haunting tunes perfect for halloween festivities

Breyona Mitchell

Skeletons rise from the depths of one’s garage, witch hats topple down from the tops of storage units and thumbs sift through collections of music to find the perfect eerie tunes. Whether decorating or dressing up, Halloween offers an array of festivities to look forward to. For those searching for music fit for this time of year, The Daily Texan compiled a playlist of songs to celebrate the ardent Halloween festivities. 

“I Put A Spell On You” by Nina Simone 

In her cover of Screamin’ Jay Hawkins’ already intense track, Nina Simone adds a level of authenticity and rawness to the acclaimed classic “I Put A Spell On You.” The opening strings alone create a haunting feel, placing listeners in an irresistible trance for two and a half minutes. 

“Bela Lugosi’s Dead” by Bauhaus 

In the early days of English rock band Bauhas’ music career, the group became fascinated with mourning the man who exuded immortality on the screen. From there stemmed an ode to Bela Lugosi, the actor who played the titular character in the 1931 film “Dracula.” Setting the stage for the genre of gothic music, the track experiments with sinister sounds paired with a monotone melody. 

“The Creature” by La Luz 

The rock band La Luz combines the fear of what lies in the shadows with the insistent presence of a former lover in their eerie track. Transporting listeners to a dream-like scene, “The Creature” serves as a ghostly yet entrancing track for this Halloween with its disturbing lyrics and mystic instrumentals. 

“My Body’s a Zombie For You” by Dead Man’s Bones 

In 2009, actor Ryan Gosling and film producer Zach Shields stepped back from the frenzy of Hollywood and released their self-titled album Dead Man’s Bones. About halfway through the Halloween-themed album, the duo delivered a tune overpowered by a children’s choir paired with honest, spooky lyrics in “My Body’s a Zombie For You,” finding balance between the fear and innocence tied to the holiday. 

“Fresh Blood” by Eels

Introducing a blues-like melody to the genre of Halloween music, Eels’ tune follows a werewolf overcome with a desire for fresh blood — a theme present throughout their album Hombre Lobo. With the presence of the wolf lurking in the verses, listeners anticipate the pouncing presence of the ghastly beast. 

“Wishing Well” by Chromatics 

The electronic music group encapsulates a devastatingly cinematic aura in their track “Wishing Well.” The track places listeners in a ghost town, striking an unsettling tone. With gentle, layered vocals accompanied by an understated synth, the band conjures a diverse and colorful experience in a monochromatic world.